[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Waveform & Consciousness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: dslit.gif (10KB, 393x339px) Image search: [Google]
dslit.gif
10KB, 393x339px
Thought experiment regarding Heisenberg Cut and the role of a conscious observer, based on the fact that the double slit detectors are not what's actually collapsing the waveform:
>Train a dog to bark when a monitor goes white, do nothing while it's dark
>Connect monitor to particle detectors of a double slit experiment

The dog is a "lower" consciousness than humans, I think it can be agreed upon. Is the dog in a superposition until a human hears him bark?

If not, what if we trained a rat to press a button instead. Is the rat in a superposition until we register the button press?

If not, what if we hooked up the detectors to some UV lamps over some agar plates and grew some bacteria. When they filled the dish, an alarm sounds. Are the bacteria in a superposition until we hear the alarm?

If not, where do we draw the line? Consciousness discussion, basically.
>>
>>9025565
Not this fucking garbage thread again.
Take your Deepak Chopra nonsense back to >>>/x/.
>>
>>9025573
Why such a hostile response? Does the question not have an answer, or do you just not understand the question?
>>
>>9025577
>or do you just not understand the question?
I think it's OP who doesn't understand his own question. Double slit has nothing to do with consciousness, but with an observer. In terms of physics, a rock can be an observer, if the rock is interacting with it somehow.
>>
its just fucking interaction

the slits DO collapse the waveform from their perspective, they aren't conscious, and if they were they aren't you, so you don't see that perspective. From your perspective, there's still many possibilities, so waveforms don't tend to begin collapsing from your perspective until photons start interacting with your eyes. In fact really the wave form is already collapsed by the indicator. You could do some fancy stuff to make it so the indicator "isn't sure" until you check it. Either way its just a movement of information. NOTHING AT ALL to do with consciousness.
>>
>>9025582
>>9025587
How come prominent physicists talk about the conscious observer then? There are whole panels at World Science Festival about it with forerunners in the field.
>>
>>9025595
>How come prominent physicists talk about the conscious observer then?
Who?

>There are whole panels at World Science Festival about it with forerunners in the field.
Well there are two likely possibilities:

1. The people at this "festival" are not experts in the field.

2. You don't understand what they're saying.
>>
>>9025565
>The Waveform & Consciousness
>>>/x/
>>
>>9025598
I believe this is the video I'm thinking of:
https://youtu.be/GdqC2bVLesQ

Probably about 28:30 onwards.
>>
1/10 thread. try harder
>>
>>9025610
The only time they even mention consciousness is an example of a measurement device being a human brain. They also mention non-conscious measurement devices. So you don't understand what they're saying.
>>
>>9025595
>How come prominent physicists talk about the conscious observer then?
They don't.

>>9025610
>https://youtu.be/GdqC2bVLesQ
>Probably about 28:30 onwards.
It sounds like an interesting problem, but the fact that people are discussing the problem doesn't make your preferred explanation credible.
>>
>>9025565
>collapsing the waveform
The whole notion of waveforms collapsing is a fiction based on a century-old misunderstanding, OP. It does not happen.

>Is the dog in a superposition until a human hears him bark?
Yes. And it will still be in superposition after the human hears it bark. When the human hears it bark, the human will be in superposition.

>Is the rat in a superposition until we register the button press?
Yes, and afterwards too.

>Are the bacteria in a superposition until we hear the alarm?
Yes, and afterwards too.

>If not, where do we draw the line?
Nowhere. It's superpositions all the way down.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.