/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats wrong with Pilot Wave theory. i dont intend to give the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1499267030612.gif (575KB, 404x493px) Image search: [Google]
1499267030612.gif
575KB, 404x493px
Whats wrong with Pilot Wave theory.

i dont intend to give the idea that i have more than a passing level of familiarity with basic QM concepts but from what ive been able to tell is that it was dismissed at the time because it was decided that you couldnt measure the pilot wave directly and it was therefore not good science.
>>
Somethin about this thread be telling me it ain't gonna solve my problems, ya feel me?
>>
Well yes, it's a complication that predicts no measurable difference than standard quantum theory, so it's not good science on an empirical level.
>>
>>9025282
It's a good way to get quantum woo popularizers to shut up
>>
its not as good as the Copenhagen interpretation because it doesn't take account of relativity

it tries to use human intuition and what we consider to be logical to explain quantum phenomena. However, why should the universe care if its laws make sense to use?

it was mathematically proven that particles can't have some hidden information or property that we don't know about (eg some wave guiding them)
>>
>>9025422
Why do Copenfags still push the hidden variable meme to try to discredit Pilot Wave? Non-locality is where it is at. Reality is a unified field.
>>
>>9025427

Not it isn't. You are deluded by your own appetite for aestheticism.
>>
>>9025422
you cant mathematically prove that!

What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>9025431
Lmao, go back to your shitty hand waving explanations then, what do I care? They have equal predictive validity until pilot wave is able to integrate a more robust general relativity, but that's just a matter of working out the math. There's no reason for me to prefer your theory, and in lieu of any other factors, I choose the aesthetic theory.
>>
>>9025427
>Reality is a unified field.
this is completely empty of meaning
>>
>>9025422
>it was mathematically proven that particles can't have some hidden information or property that we don't know about (eg some wave guiding them)
citation fucking needed
>>
>>9025445
I reject your presuppositions.
>>
>>9025427
>Why do Copenfags still push the hidden variable meme to try to discredit Pilot Wave? Non-locality is where it is at.
Because the Copenhagen interpretation is ALSO nonlocal. Potkettleblack and all that.
>>
>>9025282
>from what ive been able to tell is that it was dismissed at the time because it was decided that you couldnt measure the pilot wave directly and it was therefore not good science.
No new predictions is the main reason it isn't bothered with much.

Basically, it's yet another interpretation of quantum mechanics. A few people felt like it stood head and shoulders above the others in terms of elegance and intuitive rightness, but that is far from a consensus assessment.

If a pilot wave theorist comes up with some new prediction not suggested by other interpretations, and it turns out to be correct, people will sit up and take notice. Until then, it'll just be a sideshow in the bootless debate over which unsatisfying plain-language description of QM's mathematical model is closer to the ultimate truth of the universe or at least more helpful for education.
>>
>>9025469
I guess he's talking about this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell%27s_theorem
But I gather the argument is based on the premise that free will exists, so it's obviously flawed.
>>
>>9025422
>>9025469
>>9026643
Bell's Theorem rules out local hidden variable theories (under the premise that free will exists; superdeterminism creates a loophole). However, pilot-wave theory is a non-local hidden variable theory and therefore not disallowed by Bell's Theorem.
>>
>>9025282
One reason people didn't like using pilot wave theory is because it's a bitch to do calculations, sure people nowadays have a way of using it via monte carlo and what not, but it still has major short comings, this is not even to mention the conceptual problems. Another issue is that people haven't really worked out the proper qft analogue for it (pilot wave theory and special relativity don't mix well, there's been work on this front but nothing substantial). Another issue with pilot wave theory comes with the interpretation of strongly correlated systems, hell even basic interactions of particle beams with a solid become a nightmare, like how does the pilot wave integrate into the larger structure when coming into contact with say, a crystal, one of the easiest quantum mechanical systems to deal with, well with other formulations of quantum mechanics we have both a conceptual, numerical (we can't analytically solve everything, but the parts we do give quite a bit of insight), and analytic way of viewing things, for pilot wave theory we barely have any of those, like again, what happens to the incoming pilot wave? Does the electron and and wave split up and integrate separately, do they move together, but given the electrons interactions how can the properly move together, won't there be extra lattice vibrations from the pilot wave interaction, are those measurable. Basically although pilot wave theory can reproduce basic quantum mechanics the full theory is far from flushed out, lacking analytical and numerical power, giving no new physical insight into a system (hell things end up being more complicated), and it just doesn't generalize like other formulations of qm. So that's some of the issues with pilot wave theory.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.