[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The moon looks weird from my telescope

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_2547.jpg (63KB, 743x905px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2547.jpg
63KB, 743x905px
I live in Melbourne, Australia. I have a reflector telescope (newtonian), and i was looking at the moon from it (the moon was rising during this time).

Problem is, the moon looks rotated in a completely different way than in other pics i see of the moon from australia. When i looked through my telescope, the moon was rotated like pic related.

I'm not sure what's going on here, but i'm guessing that the pics i see on the internet might be from the moon setting or something like that, or my telescope is just fucked.

Also i didn't post this on an astronomy forum because i probably sound like a retard.
>>
Do you think maybe you're just looking at it upside down?
>>
>>9021046
Idk much about telescopes (evidently), what'd the proper way to look through it
>>
>>9021019
Have you taken into account that it would seem flipped if comparing between it setting and rising (I'm assuming you are looking with down being closest to the horizon)? The seasonal variation of its position in the sky would also cause some rotation.
>>
File: IMG_2549.jpg (28KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2549.jpg
28KB, 640x480px
>>9021066
Yeah, that's what i mentioned the moon setting. I think because i'm watching t during a moon rise it hasn't rotated completely.

Yeah, down is closest to the horizon.

I think the moon looked like pic related, which is a pic of the moon from 28th August 2007 in Sydney at 6:01 pm.

Also, i tried to put my date and time for the moon in NASA's south-up moon phase and libration thingo and it doesn't look like what i see through my telescope
>>
File: reflector-e1298072570991.jpg (119KB, 1072x814px) Image search: [Google]
reflector-e1298072570991.jpg
119KB, 1072x814px
The image is always upside down through a reflector telescope.
>>
The "moon" you're seeing is in fact a government satellite. The real moon was destroyed by Hitler from his laboratory in Argentina, six years after the end of WW2. Furthermore, the earth is flat.
>>
>>9021148
This is the most red pilled guy I've ever seen
>>
>>9021075
>libration thingo
Yes. Pic. related: it really twists and turns.
>>
>>9021313
Yeah, i said thingo cos i couldn't remember what the webpage was called
>>
>>9021124
Oh well shit i knew i was retarded
>>
File: deep.png (28KB, 1451x636px) Image search: [Google]
deep.png
28KB, 1451x636px
>>9021019
>>
>>9021124
>>9021401
... Or through a refractor, including binoculars.

However, you can get image-erecting mirrors or prisms for the telescope (goes in where you'd put the eyepiece, then you put the eyepiece into the erector) so the view is corrected. Prisms are built-in in binoculars so the image is upright.

www buytelescopes com/
televue-125-45-degree-erecting-prism
>>
>>9021124
This is not true. Some designs flip the image again between the mirror and your eye.
>>
>>9021313
Thanks for sharing this gif, was trying to explain this to somebody last weekend but could not fid a good visual of the phenomenon.
>>
Should i buy an Equatorial Mount for my Dob?
>>
File: ana_earth_from_moon_1_29.sized.jpg (59KB, 800x570px) Image search: [Google]
ana_earth_from_moon_1_29.sized.jpg
59KB, 800x570px
>>9025213
You are welcome.

Also the complementary diagram is an analemma of the Earth seen from the Moon. it took me a while to find the picture but I think this is it.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.