[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes you "you"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (197KB, 900x601px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
197KB, 900x601px
My friends were discussing consciousness and what makes a person "them", primarily talking about reincarnation.

Why is an atomically identical duplicate of myself not a shared conscious? I guess a better question is; do we know why/what makes us conscious or where it comes from? We know going to sleep or dying dispels our consciousness but where does it come from physically or is it something else?
>>
>>9013910
Brainlet detected.
>>
File: dam_it - Copy.jpg (11KB, 240x184px) Image search: [Google]
dam_it - Copy.jpg
11KB, 240x184px
>>9013910
its the brain, the neurons
also am i senile for not fearing death?
>>
>>9013910
How much weed did you had?
>>
Consiousness is an illusion.
>>
>>9013923
I think it takes a lot of spiritual/emotional maturity and isn't a sign of senility. I wish you well on this life and whatever may follow,
>>9013922
You could've just told me.
>>9013926
None.
>>
>>9013930
What is experiencing the illusion?
>>
>>9013910
That is a very difficult question. I don't think that we are just a bunch of atoms; there has to be something else that gives rise to life that science hasn't found yet, because there's clearly something different between inanimate matter and living entities.

I don't believe in mystical things like the "soul", but there's something that hasn't been found scientifically yet, in my view
>>
>>9013966
What if science isn't the answer?
>>
>>9013978
Then there's only way to pursue truth. Fuckloads of psilocybin and DMT
>>
>>9013978
"science" is not a subset of phenomena within the universe. It is a method for learning. Anything that exists is the subject of "science".

>>9013966
How would you explain a mechanical machine, when the gears and levers alone do nothing similar to the function of the overall machine?
>>
>>9013985
>How would you explain a mechanical machine, when the gears and levers alone do nothing similar to the function of the overall machine?
I would say that perhaps this machine has elements that we are not aware of
>>
>>9013910
>Why is an atomically identical duplicate of myself not a shared conscious?
There is no way for you to prove that

>We know going to sleep or dying dispels our consciousness
Those are two different things, even a coma is different from sleep, and so is a vegetative state.

The truth is that consciousness, and more broadly neuroscience in general, is something that is very poorly understood.
>>
>>9013910
i dont know what makes you "you" but your pic related can make anyone stop being them fairly quickly
>>
>>9013936
This. I've never heard a stupider statement than this>>9013930
but it gets parroted everywhere
>>
>>9014545
everything that sounds crazy and likewoah2deep4uman gets repetead in the most idiotic manner.

My favorite one is that " HEY DURHHH LE HUR LE DURR BEACUASE OF QUANTUM MAGIC EVEREYTHING IS TRUE AND FALSE A TTHE SAME TIME YEAH MAN 420 BLAZE IT
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.