[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any field of mathematics related to game development?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: hackers.jpg (433KB, 660x484px)
hackers.jpg
433KB, 660x484px
Is there any field of mathematics related to game development?
>>
File: chumlee.jpg (77KB, 664x385px) Image search: [Google]
chumlee.jpg
77KB, 664x385px
dafuq
just go into computer science
>>
Like, gameplay development or technology development? For example, I don't think someone coding a game's weapons or whatever are going to be using a lot of advanced math, but if you're developing technologies that all games use, such as rendering, low latency networking, physics and so on then yes, they are very math heavy.
>>
>>9012512
None of it
>>
Linear Algebra comes up a lot.
>>
>>9012512
Almost all of them. We have pure math to think for many of the algorithms used in video games.
>>
>>9012512
I've used linear algebra and vector calc when playing around with some amateur game dev stuff. A friend of mine who's a CS/Math guy has a hard on for category theory, so maybe that too.
>>
You need to know highschool level vector and matrix operations.
Things you can learn from fiddling around in unity >>>/vg/agdg
>>
>>9012526
>very math heavy
>doesn't go beyond basic lingebra
Nah. Game devs are good with 1st semester math. Even that is overkill in many cases.

>>9012792
Wrong. I've been intern for a pretty well-known game studio, working with the engine team during their adaptation to PS4 and they don't give a fuck about theory for the engine itself. You will need instruction tables, architecture optimization guides from vendor and shitloads of benchmarks and profiling, it doesn't matter that your algorithm is logarithmic when my quadratic algorithm performs better in reality on the data we work with. They barely care about theory for their tooling, and that works with quite a large quantities of data so complexity matters there.
>>
>>9012512
"related"? yes
but required? no, not anymore

the math aspect used to be more relevant back when the machines weren't so powerful.

look at the problem of depth sorting. the BSP technique used in "quake" was published by mathematicians iirc.

the depth-sorting technique of "z-buffering" pixel by pixel had been conceived of already, it wasn't used in any engine at the time because it required a fuckton of memory. but nowadays that amount of memory is a pittance and z-buffering has become utterly standard.

as a game developer, all the heavy lifting has been done for you by ultra powerful GPU's and by refined, mature graphics engines on their 4th or 5th iteration that you can license for a fraction of what it would cost you to develop it in-house.
>>
>>9012512
Game theory is all about games.
>>
>>9012526
Math doesn't go much beyond probability and statistics because probability let's you make things predictable and statistics let you evaluate your data.

Most games use a prebuilt engine.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.