[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cyber security rundown

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 7e2.jpg (159KB, 959x538px) Image search: [Google]
7e2.jpg
159KB, 959x538px
Hey /sci/ somewhat-newfag here,

I keep reading people talking about the following and I was hoping you could give me a quick rundown on the following:

>TOR
what is it, should I use it, how do I use it

>Proxy/vpn
what is it, should I use it, how do I use it?

>Proxy/vpn
What are they, should I use them, how do I use them?

Relavant other welcome

Not planning on doing anything illegal, just interested in the topic.
>>
>>9009771
>proxy
suppose your internet connection is you sending letters through a mailbox to someone
even if your letters are encrypted, everyone knows you are the one sending the letters and metadata is still visible (address etc is on the envelope).

a proxy: you ask a kid to push the letters in the mailbox for you, such that people will think that kid is the one sending the mail while in reality you are.

creepy organisations that spy on you, such as the NSA and your ISP still know you are handing the kid your mail so a proxy won't help against that.
>>
>>9009806
Thanks anon
>>
>>9009806
But a Vpn (with multiple kids) would be useful, if not unspyable.
>>
>>9009771
Biggest difference between proxies and vpns

1) There is end to end encryption. The VPN will have the info of where you connect, when, and how. But good ones delete this info 7 days after you send it.

2) A proxy will only fake your IP for browsing while a VPN will fake your ip for all networked processes on your computer. This includes torrenting, a random computer update, any program that connects to the internet etc... along with your browser surfing.
>>
TOR is an anonymizing network. It can be tricky to properly configure which is why the tor project provides a tor browser bundle. From there, it is (nearly) impossible for anyone watching your network connection to know where you are going and also nearly impossible for the destination website to figure out who is visiting.

However, if someone is watching your connection, they will be able to see that you are connecting to the tor network. If you want to prevent this, you can use a bridge. A bridge is a secret tor node which you need to get an e-mail to find. Because it is not on a list, it is difficult to figure out that you are connecting to it to use tor.

Using tor all of the time does have some downsides though. First of all, it is slow. I only use mine when I am doing something that I don't want to go into my file at the NSA. Also, you should have this note before you go use the tor network. DO NOT TORRENT OVER TOR. This fucks up the network by making it slower for everyone. If you need more information about it, you can visit the tor project's website here.

https://www.torproject.org/
>>
>>9009873
dont listen to his mambo jambo. Recent wikileaks have shown tor isnt worth shit nowdays
>>
>>9009894
CIA nigger detected.
>>
>>9009902
>Tor was not only developed for a time in the early 2000s by individuals who "were on contract from DARPA and the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory", but since its inception the bulk of its funding has come from the federal government of the United States.[18]
>>
>>9009933
Meaning? The US has a vested interest in the network because their foreign spies are dependant on it. Besides, funding and development are not the same thing. This is especially true in an open source development model where even a paranoid brainlet such as yourself could audit the code.
>>
>>9009873
Further, no amount of anonymity will protect you if anyone on your network has wireshark or any other packet sniffer running.
>>
>>9009902
>>9009894
>>9009873
Memes aside, is that a yay or nay for TOR assuming I don't mind the speed?
>>
Would there be a problem using a DO droplet or some other VPS to host an instance of openvpn or something like https://github.com/jlund/streisand for a personal VPN if you're not doing anything illegal and just want to make public wifi safer to use?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.