[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Consciousness is an illusion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1387666769636.jpg (250KB, 816x816px) Image search: [Google]
1387666769636.jpg
250KB, 816x816px
If consciousness is unique and differentiates from person to person, then why is it so easy to predict, control and manipulate people? There are countless fool-proof books on how to influence people and the environment around them. If philosophical arguments can't convince you, then maybe chemistry can. All of our actions and reactions are based off chemical balance/imbalance in our brain, with some people administrating specific drugs to boost that balance or imbalance for euphoria.

How can you be conscious when all you do unconsciously, is to fulfil the biological demand for pleasure?
>>
>>9009490
Meh, don't care.
>>
>>9009516

but of course you don't... you're not even real
>>
You seem to talk of consciousness as free will.

We are consciousness but our decisions are mostly perhaps all made unconsciousness.

I've read plenty of cognitive science with some biological and genetic elements and came to the conclusion that if free will does exist it must be extremely limited

Then I read a neuroscience book and it seems more logical to hold the view that free will does not exist until proven than the other way around

Believing we make our decisions consciously is perhaps beter for your mental health, though I would say that in some ways it is more humane to think of decisions as constrainted and automatic
>>
>>9009490

It's easy to conflate the brain with the mind if the brain is the media through which the mind acts.
>>
>>9009490
I think personality and consciousness are different? People might have predictable personalities but consciousness is your sense/experience of being (you).
>>
File: aXm5287xjU.jpg (88KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
aXm5287xjU.jpg
88KB, 650x650px
youre beginning to figure it out

take the black pill
>>
>>9009490
Neither optical illusions nor "god spots" in themselves refute the existence of first-person experience, which is what consciousness refers to and which clearly must exist for there to be someone whose tricked in the first place. Muh chemicals cannot explain away consciousness in its actuality. Go away, Dennett.
>>
What is consciousness and why do you think it's uniquely human? I pretty sure my dog is aware it exists
>>
>>9010122
Why do we think computers don't already perceive in some sense?

As far as we know every natural information processing system is conscious to some degree. Why the fuck would a GPU not be? Sure it doesn't have a Cartesian theater of experience but the processing is enough that the perception of color may exist somewhere there. There's even memory and intelligent management of models. It can't have intent outside of its programming, it can't abstractly think about itself, but it is processing a massive amount of data and representing complex models with multiple levels of abstraction. The only other thing that does that is a brain.
>>
>>9009490
Well according to Emergent Abstractionism, consciousness is a zindor (an abstraction) that is a based on biology/chemistry. The thing is, zindors are real things, so you really actually are conscious. The economy is a zindor, it is an abstraction of the transfer of certain arrangements of things on the planet. Atoms are just a zindor based on quarks. If you go all the way down, you hit the Stream of Information. An abstraction can only be a zindor (and by extension, a real thing) if it is a different way of interpreting the SOI or an underlying zindor by removing unnecessary details.

So is the economy all just an illusion? The Emergent Abstractionist view is that no it is not an illusion, BUT since every zindor effectively represents a different way of interpreting the universe, no two zindors can be true at any given time. For example, if you are looking at the world as just a bunch of atoms moving around, then nothing is alive. There is no life in this view, because atoms are not alive. But if you consider the biology zindor of any animal on earth, then in that context there are no such thing as atoms, and there IS life. Both of these view are correct, but they can't be correct at the same time.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.