[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

do you guys have a variable IQ™? I find that depending on how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 1495611241525.jpg (680KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1495611241525.jpg
680KB, 1920x1080px
do you guys have a variable IQ™? I find that depending on how much I'm using my brain over the span of the week I can vary from being a pretty big dumb fuck to being a reasonably smart fellow. If I decide mid week that I want to stop being a dumb fuck then it will take me at least a few days to get my brain back into gear and it won't be until several math lectures/readings later at the end of the week that I'll be fully firing again.
>>
>>9008960
IQ tests are flawed. I can just not try as hard and my IQ suddenly is only 110. If I try, I typically hit 140. If I tried really hard, I could probably get like 150 or 160. It's a stupid test that is only useful for testing whether or not you are mentally retarded. I'm pretty sure that was the original purpose of it.
>>
File: 1422849652672.jpg (35KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1422849652672.jpg
35KB, 300x300px
>>9008984
but yes, neuroplasticity allows us to change. Any genius can become a shadow of their former self by bumming around, watching television, (shitposting on 4chan), eating junk food all day, not exercising, whatever. You see this constantly with people burning out. That's what burning out is. They just stop trying, stop giving a shit, and they just lose it, they stop sharpening their knife so it just gets dull and rusty, and they're done.

You aren't set in stone. You can become more efficient, and optimize yourself. Your genetics/environment growing up/nutrition growing up/experience growing up - all of that shit just shapes your personality and has a small effect on """how smart""" you are. Anyone with the potential can become a dumbie or extremely intelligent and knowledgeable.

All of the smartest people I've ever talked to had slumps where I was definitely above them intellectually because they stopped trying. Your actions matter quite a lot. You aren't this constant genius or dumbie, you can change, very easily too.[spoiler] if you already had the potential[/spoiler]
>>
Right now I'm really hungover after drinking 8 beers lastnight. I would probably bomb an IQ test, even though I normally score pretty high
>>
>>9008997
Sure. But your score is also affected by stupid shit like the mood you're in when you're taking the test. It can change at a moment's notice. Lots of studies have shown significant and consistent differentials from experiences right before taking the test.
>>
>>9009010
yes which is what i said >>9008984
>>
>>9009010
>>9009006
short term stuff like that can easily affect your mind obviously but I'm referring to more long term situations where your mind will be poor for at least 2 days (not including being sick).
>>
This board is unreasonably obsessed with IQ, in my opinion. Why is this?
>>
>>9008960
I did the same IQ test 5 times during 3 years.

My IQ got higher few points each time (118 -> 120 -> 123 -> 127 ->130)

So I believe that either :
(1) IQ is malleable & can raise, however rather slowly.
(2) You can study or do better in each IQ test not because your IQ increased, but just because It a skill that can be trained.

I have a Growth Mindset, a belief that Intelligence is not Fixed, It's malleable.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindset#Fixed_and_growth

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malleability_of_intelligence
>>
We are different persons at differents times...
>>
>>9008960
I just concluded that not only does my working memory fluctuate, but is also much worse than it used to be. My recall and abstract manipulation is terrible.

I used to be able to keep a list of conversation topics in my head. Now I can barely follow one topic.

I guess that has something to do with IQ?

Either way, people, including professionals tend to react with blank stares when you talk about variable intelligence.

It's assumed to be like the soul or something, eternal and unchangeable, or at the very least lacking a tractable theory for what makes human minds effective and how to fix them.
>>
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.