[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

EMDrive question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: EMdrive.jpg (23KB, 350x236px) Image search: [Google]
EMdrive.jpg
23KB, 350x236px
I am confused. I keep reading about EMdrive, some say it works, others that it violate the very laws of nature.
Is it real?
Why has it not been rigorously tested?
IS anyone going to perform THE definitive non controversial test to either prove or disprove it?
WHEN will we know?
>>
>>9004920
No.
It has been.
Already did.
We know already.
>>
>>9004934
wrong on all counts
>>
50 - 50
either it works or it doesn't
>>
>>9004936
So you believe it is real though you believe it has not been tested and we don't know if it works or not?

Can you explain your concept of "faith based science" to me in greater detail, it sounds fascinating.
>>
>>9004920
>Is it real?
No
>Why has it not been rigorously tested?
It has been. The problem is the "thrust" is so small it's almost impossible to separate the all sources of error. We can infer that it's probably either some extraneous variable not controlled for or an issue with error, since the "thrust" acts in the same direction regardless of the orientation of the drive (see https://tu-dresden.de/ing/maschinenwesen/ilr/rfs/ressourcen/dateien/forschung/folder-2007-08-21-5231434330/ag_raumfahrtantriebe/JPC---Direct-Thrust-Measurements-of-an-EM-Drive-and-Evaluation-of-Possible-Side-Effects.pdf)
>>
>>9004956
I believe the effect is realm whether it can be turned into something useful is a long term question. This is a personal opinion, I don't have one in my garage
it has not been RIGOROUSLY tested, it's barely more than a hobby project for even the serious labs testing it
no one has made a "definitive" test insofar as such a test can be said to exist
we don't know jack shit about it
>>
>>9004920
If it works, it looks ancient already.
>>
>>9004920
If it works it revolutionizes space travel.
Why does NASA not just give MIT a one million dollar grant to test it and return a definitive answer?
>>
>>9004979
Because NASA are already strapped for cash without throwing it at investment black holes.
>>
File: 1498423280465.jpg (239KB, 700x470px) Image search: [Google]
1498423280465.jpg
239KB, 700x470px
a public "we made it, it works so and so" will likely NEVER happen. if it works airforce will just gobble it up and use it for their black projects. NASA is just an enterainment project at this point. hollywood for the brainlets
>>
>>9004957
>the "thrust" acts in the same direction regardless of the orientation of the drive

/thread, tbqh senpai
>>
>>9004957
I don't know shit about physics, but it makes me wonder if that direction is related to the rotation of the earth or something.
>>
>>9005832
Direction of "thrust" is related to the orientation of whatever the source of the error is.
>>
Simple answer is it works, but gives about as much propulsion as passing gas into a funnel when you pass like 120 watts though it.

Maybe they'll increase the efficiency one day, but it and any other proposed electronic propulsion system suffers the same problem...batteries are heavy as shit.

If you don't want to use batteries then you'll have to bring some sort of generator (barring advances in solar technology, because current solar panels are heavy, inconsistent, and really inefficient). Generators need fuel and can not be 100% efficient. Therefore, why not just bring combustible fuel, use a normal engine, and cut out the headache of electricity?
>>
>>9004920
it doesnt work

/thread
>>
>>9006106
It actualy does work, I read a research paper on it a while back. I can't find it again though, so maybe it was not true.

But even if the paper was true, "it works" is a bit too strong of a phrase to describe the results. It produced a couple nano-newtons of force off of 120 watts.

So I guess you could call it a proof of concept, but researchers need a lot more promising data if they want to get big grants to keep working on it
>>
>>9004920
i believe Dr. Zubrin when he says thats its silly and doesn't really work. chemical rockets are optimal and maybe we can do more with nuclear in the future.
>>
>>9004920
It does work but the jews don't want the goyim to find out or else they can't peddle their own stuff
>>
>>9004958
>we don't know jack shit about it
We know it's most likely bogus based on some effect messing with the tests.
This is also the reason why it doesn't get "rigorously tested". Scientists don't want to waste years on proving something that's obviously going to turn out false. They'd much rather research something that will actually bring new knowledge.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.