[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Methane Hydrate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: storm-tsunami.jpg (135KB, 1024x521px) Image search: [Google]
storm-tsunami.jpg
135KB, 1024x521px
When Big Oil is running dry, you'd expect them to turn to the last untapped fossil resource on Earth:
Methane hydrates.
What is Methane Hydrates (or clathrates)?
It's basically burning ice. It's a christal that forms underwater at exactly the right conditions of pressure and temperature.
Those conditions are mostly met at continental shelves. It so happens that they are mostly covered in sediments, that is, decomposing sealife.
So those ice crystals trap methane into them.
One has to understand how fucking unstable this shit is.
5°C temperature range.
I don't remember, but not so wide pressure range.
You thought methane releases from permafrost were bad? This is at least 10 times worse.
In fact, it's been theorized that 300 millions years ago,the Earth, which was already experiencing a big extinction event, due to volcanoes in Syberia,has seen a major destabilization of those deposits that led to a supplementary 5°C increase in temperatures. Leading to the biggest ever extinction event for life on Earth.
It gets even more funny, when some people looked at submarine landslides. Guess what? We found some pretty big landsiles out there.
Just the continental shelf sliding down the hill.
Just a coincidence, but dating those sites proved they were in the range for holding methane hydrates at the time things happened.
A bit of math, and we're talking 500m tsunami waves(of which we found evidence on land).
So why am I bringing this up?
This is getting into /x/ conspiracy mode.
I saw at least 2 documentaries on this shit 5-10 years ago.
I tried very hard, but I can't find any evidence of the shit I'm advancing here on the interweb.
Literally none. I can't even find the stability range for this shit.
All I find is big oil announcing they're gonna tap this shit.
Please someone tell me I'm not insane and has seen the same documentaries.
>>
File: clathrate-craters.jpg (332KB, 600x406px) Image search: [Google]
clathrate-craters.jpg
332KB, 600x406px
>>9003519
It's probably nothing to worry about, move along.
>>
>>9003537
May I ask about pic related?
Seems somewhat relevent.
>>
>>9003549
Oh it's nothing, just a bunch of underwater clathrate explosion craters.
>>
>>9003556
Oh ok.
Good thing, though. These won't trigger mega-tsunamis.
It won't help with global warming though.
Which we all know is a hoax.
>>
File: 1487203769453.jpg (48KB, 518x525px) Image search: [Google]
1487203769453.jpg
48KB, 518x525px
>>9003519
if there's a risk of it massively fucking shit up, businesses wont go for it
They'll back off when they see the potential to annihilate their entire business network is higher than the profit margins of tapping the product

PR is still a big thing, and if a city gets wiped off the map directly because of their actions, that corporation is kill
this ain't captain planet
>>
Don't forget that the business model looks at maximum 17 years in the future. We have around 40 years of oil so until it's finished nobody really bothers.Remember it in 25 years time.
>>
>>9003573
Yeah, that must be why they removed all this fake information from the interweb.
You wouldn't want shareholders finding out about this shit.
My guess is they are planning on some 'minor' incidents (you can't just tap it without destabilizing it somehow).
And hopefully, that's what's gonna happen.
But you know, Chernobyl and Fukushima were never supposed to happen.
>>
>>9003589
Chernobyl was a shoddily re-purposed weapons production facility, staffed by drunken illiterates, and untrained drunken illiterates
they decided to fuck with the reactor and play chicken with it, it went critical in fractions of a second

Fukushima was a reactor that violated all safety and maintenance codes, while also not even being up to standard at all, in a high risk location

those are the two only actual nuclear accidents that have ever happened in the 60 odd years of nuclear power being a thing
>>
>>9003602
Why would you expect better standards on methane hydrate extraction rigs?
When there's 'literally no risk involved'
>>
>>9003602
Also, two fucking miles island
>>
>>9003612
Wait, was that tree miles? I don't even Imperial clusterfuck
>>
>>9003612
>>9003602
>>9003589
You know if we could get over our fear of nuclear power, we wouldn't have to mine methane hydrates

>>9003612
wew a minor leak of radioactive gas, big fucking deal
>>
File: methane-hydrates.jpg (16KB, 289x408px) Image search: [Google]
methane-hydrates.jpg
16KB, 289x408px
>>9003519
recycled news
methane hydrate south china sea
>>
>>9003618
Getting over over the risks of nuclear power would involve fusion.
Let's get real here, Chernobyl was pretty fucking close to fucking us all, and Fukushima may still do it, even though it's less and less likely as time passes.
Also, if that spent fuel rod pool on top of reactor 3 had ever run out of water/collapsed, we'd all be fucking living underground right now.
Here's a funny story about nuclear energy in France.
In La Hague, there are fucking square miles of spent fuel pools in open air.
We can just end all human life on Earth by a water valve.
>>
>>9003612
Nuclear accidents producing corium:
Three Mile Island (USA) 1979-03-25
Chernobyl (Ukraine) 1986-04-26
Fukushima Daiichi (Japan) 2011-03-11
>>
>>9003627
And yet, all human life hasn't ended. Outdoor fuel storage is really dumb though. Mainly because one has to deal with things like leaves, algae, and bird crap, in addition to nuclear waste. It makes decommissioning more expensive in the long term. Dry cask storage is the way to go.
>>
File: bermuda-triangle.jpg (36KB, 615x410px) Image search: [Google]
bermuda-triangle.jpg
36KB, 615x410px
>methane hydrate is responsible for disappearances in Bermuda triangle

We can't allow this to happen!! Entire cities will disappear with out a trace! Methane hydrates is more dangerous than nuclear!
>>
>>9003661
Well, obviously, we wouldn't be shitposting about it otherwise.
Nuclear isn't the holy grail, even if it was safe as you claim it to be.
Uranium isn't really that common in the Earth's crust. Most of it migrated to the core when it was but a ball of lava. Because it's fucking heavy.
If everybody tries and does like France and Japan, it will be gone in less than a decade.
>>
>>9003519
>oil running dry
nice meme
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.