[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So my grandfather died and I was going though his stuff with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: fossils.jpg (2MB, 4032x6048px) Image search: [Google]
fossils.jpg
2MB, 4032x6048px
So my grandfather died and I was going though his stuff with my dad. Grandpa was a school science teacher and principal, and I found a couple of pretty cool fish fossils that I'm gonna keep and display in my house. I don't know anything about them. I've done some googling, but it's hard to even know what terms to search for.

Can anyone help me identify they are?

What I know:
>Found in American southwest (Utah, I think?)
>They look like some kind of fish
>Pretty sure they're 2 sides of the same fossilized animal(?), so it's like a mirror image
>>
bump for /sci/
>>
Looks like a crustacean from the paleolithic era. Try giving it tree fiddy.

But seriously, this is probably from the Eocene. It's gonna be difficult to classify the exact species though because we can't see any of its dorsal or pectoral fins.
>>
can we get a closeup of the tail?
>>
>>9003057
Thanks. Just knowing they're from the Eocene would help me narrow my search. Does the fossil probably have a missing dorsal and/or pectoral fin, or were there some fish that just didn't have them?
>>
File: 20170629_063319.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170629_063319.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>9003059
>>
File: 20170629_063327.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170629_063327.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>9003059
2/2
>>
>>9003060
It probably has fins, we just can't see them because of the way the specimen is cut (they're still embedded in stone)

>>9003063
Thanks, my guess based on that is that it's some type of Mioplosus, but it's difficult to tell for sure
>>
>>9003067
>>9003063

>>9003068
>Mioplosus
I'm fairly certain now, having looked a bit more closely at the pics.

The fossil is upside down in your book case, which confused me initially. I can see two ventral fins and one posterior dorsal one (close to the tail), but it has to have an anterior dorsal one as well, so it's Percid-like. Combined with the clearly visible and rather large scales, it's probably a Mioplosus.
>>
>>9003068
Looking at a quick GIS for "Mioplosus," mine looks more "torpedo"-shaped, but yeah, it's hard to tell. Mine's face isn't super clear and the 90-degree-bend makes nailing the exact shape more difficult.
>>
>>9003079
I was worried that they were upside-down, yeah. The shape just made resting them that way easier.
>>
>>9003020
That's a penis
>>
>>9003264
Nailed it.
>>
>>9003020
>Bill & Ted, Orgazmo, Jackass DVDs
You are a true scholar, I see.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.