[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Social Media and Self-Esteem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1-od2HLFzNoxk2JLDFFhUB3w.jpg (140KB, 1000x598px) Image search: [Google]
1-od2HLFzNoxk2JLDFFhUB3w.jpg
140KB, 1000x598px
Does social media really affect self esteem?
>>
i can imagine it would in a way that produces a global net negative. self esteem is a meme anyways.
>>
>>9000720
Yeah, Social media, like drugs, friends and hobbies other than pure mathematics are all just self-steem crutches.

Normies feel depressed 99.9% of the time but they have learned of the depression exchange. If you can use social power to make fun of someone and belittle them while making yourself look like a superior person, you transfer your depression to that other person and then you get to feel happy, as in, what we feel when doing mathematics, but this only lasts for about 10 minutes and then they are back in the grind of the never ending social battle of trying to feel better by mocking others.

If you know anyone who unironically uses social media other than 4chan and other websites then pity them, because they are one insult away from pulling the fucking trigger.
>>
>>9000730
It might b a positive as well --- friendless neckbeard can pretend to have all these friends...
>>
>>9000740
I don't think you can pretend to have friends. I prefer 4chan because I know that at best we all have a feeling of mutual respect for one another. It's as close to tolerance as indifference can get. And you don't have to get sucked into someones image if they're trash here. It's just too depressing to be around that sort of person (everyone at work).
>>
>>9000740
And the thing is, I know people with social media "popularity" who might otherwise be likable. Hot girls mostly. But their self loathing oozes.
>>
>>9000720
depends on the media you are subscribing to.

if the social media you see is full of degrading and degeneracy then yeah maybe

but if your social media intake is people who aren't faggots then no

clearly whatever impact this might have on self esteem for a person depends on their perception of the content.

I think younger social media can be damaging because you might not have the proper coping skills to deal with getting ""bullied"" online
>>
>>9000755
>but if your social media intake is people who aren't faggots then no
good luck finding a single one
>>
>>9000720
mate, everything you input into your brain changes it. yes.
>>
>>9000720
It certainly affects vanity on bitches with filters.
>>
According to this website though it says that it boosts self esteem because you are able to put your best face forward

http://news.cornell.edu/stories/2011/03/facebook-walls-boost-self-esteem-finds-study
>>
>>9000720
it depends where you were getting your self-esteem from to begin with. If you received it from external sources, then yes. if you received it from internal sources, then no.
>>
>>9002482
can you give examples of external and internal sources?
>>
>>9000740
>>
In social media everyone is equal at what they can do but how they do it decides what they can become
>>
File: 1498568326967.gif (819KB, 346x495px) Image search: [Google]
1498568326967.gif
819KB, 346x495px
Depicts our current standing on social media
>>
It's probably easiest to attempt at proving that it has no effect.
>>
http://i.memeful.com/media/post/WwlbWlR_700wa_0.gif
>>
Media is bad
>>
>>9002488
external: likes on facebook, comments from people, things you cannot outwardly control.
internal: solving a difficult problem, introspection.

basically your SELF esteem needs to come from yourself, and if it doesnt, it's at the mercy of other people, and so is your mood
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.