[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Differential Equations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: 1431055935042.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1431055935042.gif
2MB, 200x200px
Hi /sci/
I'm currently taking a differential equations course and we've had a few quizzes and exams where I'm solving a High Order Differential Equation (non-homogeneous) and I have to stop mid-problem because what I'm currently doing will not work. (I'm talking about, for example, if the equations is y''''+2y'''+2y''=3x^2, then I will get the complement solution, no biggie, but when I try to get the particular solution, I do (Ax^2 + Bx + C) , and after attempting to solve it, we know it won't work. So then I try (Ax^3 + Bx^2 + C), and after doing the work again, STILL IT DOESN'T WORK! Not until I do (Ax^4 + Bx^3 + Cx^2 + Dx + E) Does it work, BUT AFTER ALL THAT TIME I'VE LOST LIKE 7 MINUTES OR MORE AND MY EXAM/QUIZZES SCORES ARE AFFECTED.

Is there a way of knowing ahead of time to start with Ax^4.... rather than Ax^2 ?
>>
Your highest order differencial is 4 so chances are youll want something to plug into that part of the equ
>>
Have no clue what you're asking for. Can you provide a more clear example?
>>
>>9000374
Ifs its to the n order, then you take the n derivative.

If it has n constants then you take it to the n derivative, then solve
>>
Integrate both sides of the equation with respect to x twice; then use a trial function y (x)=ce^(rx). You'll get something like:

(r^2+2r+2)c = 1/4(x^4)×e^(-rx)

Solve for r:

(r^2+2r+2)c=((r+1)^2+1)c=(1/4)x^4×e^(-rx)

r=-1+-(((1/4c)x^4×e^(-rx))-1)^(1/2)

input and you have your general equation.
>>
File: 1490962152573s.jpg (2KB, 124x125px) Image search: [Google]
1490962152573s.jpg
2KB, 124x125px
Whoops, the actual general equation is:

r=-1+-((((1/4c3)x^4+c1+c2)×e^(-rx))-1)^(1/2)

Since 3x^2 was originally integrated twice.
>>
>>9000374
How about fucking practicing
>>
And to your final question: the characteristic equation you want to use will be governed by what trial function you input. For instance, if you have y''''+y'=0, you can input the trial function y (x)=e^rx to get r^4+r=0 or you can integrate both sides once to obtain y'''+y=0 which produces r^3+1=0.

Ultimately, the characteristic function you want to use will correspond to the highest order differential in the initial equation.
>>
>>9002182
Sometimes a bit of guidance goes farther than hours of practice.
>>
File: 1487877939895.jpg (99KB, 288x402px) Image search: [Google]
1487877939895.jpg
99KB, 288x402px
Help!

x^2*y''+sinx*y=0
>>
File: 1492845500116.jpg (43KB, 645x609px) Image search: [Google]
1492845500116.jpg
43KB, 645x609px
First,

X^2×y''=-sinx y, isolate functions involving x on one side, y on the other.

(1/y)y''=-(1/x^2)sinx

Use y=ce^(rx), then: r^2=(1/x^2)sinx which implies that r= +or-((1/x^2)sinx)^1/2.

Then, y=c1exp ((1/x^2)sinx)+c2exp (-(1/x^2)sinx).
>>
Help me solve y''' -2cy'+bx^2=g (x) where g (x) is arbitrary
>>
>>9004290
Fourier transform: y=int-inf,inf f (w)e^iwx dw

(-iw^3 + 2ciw+bw^2)f (w)=g

Solve for f (w), choose g (w), and integrate over w to get y (x)
>>
>>9000374
You need to prevent duplication in your particular solution, you should see right off the bat that your x^2 will have the 3rd and 4th derivative be zero

You pretty much answer your own question, because it's 4th order you want your guess to include ax^4
It's pretty much ALWAYS going to follow that pattern where your highest order should match your highest x power.
It's possible that you'll find some of your constants to be zero but it's better to find a constant to be zero than to keep starting over.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.