[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there space aliens?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: PAUL-aliens-34262232-467-621.jpg (83KB, 467x621px) Image search: [Google]
PAUL-aliens-34262232-467-621.jpg
83KB, 467x621px
there are no aliens. we hardly know of any planets at temperatures that can theoretically support life... and temperature is just one of thousands of things that have to be just right for life to thrive.

No other planet has a combination of all of these things.

>b-but anon there are so many planets, muh random chance says all those things must exist somewhere

it would be like planting a potato and having it genetically mutate to grow a functioning iPhone in the ground with iOS 11 already installed. not gonna happen.
>>
>>8998370
Why should space aliens have to be alive?
We're only familiar with a very specific kind of intelligent chemical machine that expresses an inclination toward self preservation and propagation: the one we call "life." But perhaps, even if unique in structure, it's not unique in function.
There may be other such machines not even made of cells. Perhaps they've evolved a different kind of intelligence from ours, and consequently don't even have brains. Their senses might differ from ours, and we might even be unable to detect them, if they're very large, very small, very slow, very fast, or not made of matter as we know it.
Are there intelligence-like patterns out there even in things we're familiar with -- in places we've never even thought to check?
Are rocks intelligent (but just very slowly so)?
Are galaxies intelligent?
>>
>>8998370

Why would aliens have to look and live like us?
>>
i think we can all agree that if life DOES somehow exist on other planets, they will have potatos and iphones, both fundamental ideas woven into the fabric of our universe
>>
we are the aliens
>>
>>8998370
It depends what you mean by aliens. If you mean hightly advanced life forms then we have no direct evidence ,to my knowledge.

If you mean just life in any simple form then that is more likely. There is no particular reason why the conditions on earth can't be replicated elsewhere.

And like >>8998405 said, life exists in the universe and it is your own bias that makes you think that earth is unique.
>>
File: egyptian.jpg (33KB, 630x394px) Image search: [Google]
egyptian.jpg
33KB, 630x394px
Explain the pyramids without invoking aliens, [spoiler]you can't[/spoiler]
>>
>>8998752
some dudes in a desert stacked up some rocks in the easiest shape to stack rocks in
>>
>>8998752
Explain the pyramids?
What does that even mean?
>>
>>8998757
it's impossible for humans to put a rock on top of another rock
>>
>>8998758
What about if they had thousands of slaves? Or if the rocks are cut into nice blocks that fit together?
>>
>>8998370
ITT: We are baited.

>>8998747

I like bait as much as you do, so...
>It depends what you mean by aliens. If you mean hightly advanced life forms then we have no direct evidence ,to my knowledge.

Also, we have no direct evidence of the less advanced kinds. We have no direct evidence of life anywhere other than on Earth.

>If you mean just life in any simple form then that is more likely.

Probably, ifyou assume that advanced life can onlyarise from sinple life, which seems likely. But is unproven. And with the caveat that ) is not a larger number than 0.

>There is no particular reason why the conditions on earth can't be replicated elsewhere.

True enough, but there is no possible way to judge how likely it is that life WILL arise when it can. It may be so extremely unlikely that it will not happen anywhere else. Or it may be that the necessary conditions are much more tightly defined than we tend to assume.

Considering that, as far as we know, it only happened once here -- we do not see new life arising on Earth today, though we know life can thrive here.

>And like >>8998405 said, life exists in the universe and it is your own bias that makes you think that earth is unique

Biases are funny things.

Based on zero evidence, it used to be assumed that life arising was so unlikely that Earth was almost certainly unique. That bias remained strong until fairly recently.

Now, still based on zero evidence, it is popular to assume life will show up pretty much anywhere that it possibly can. That bias is as strong now as the old one.

Life may well be common in the Universe. Or it may not. However strong our preferences and preconceived notions are, we actually have no data and so do not know.
>>
>>8998755
This, though to give them their due, they did a very neat job, and stacked an impressive quantity of rock.
>>
>>8998779
>Based on zero evidence, it used to be assumed that life arising was so unlikely that Earth was almost certainly unique. That bias remained strong until fairly recently.

What do you think is responsible for this change? Making great scientific gains while sill knowing very very little - causing us to over-estimate our actual understanding of the universe?
>>
>>8998779
great post
>>
Well, there's no intelligent life in corner of the Galaxy, as we'd see the radio waves by now,

There might be none in our galaxy at all, really.
>>
>>8998370
That analogy put the dick in ridickulous.
>>
There's no physical evidence for alien life, but there is physical evidence, eyewitness reports, and sworn written testimonies from credible sources for the existence of UFO's.

I'm not a believer in extra terrestrial life, because I don't think belief is required.
>>
>>8998859

>We'd see the radio waves
>radio waves

Why would an advanced interstellar species, capable of advanced interstellar TRAVEL, communicate using radio waves?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.