[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unusual Dice Probablities

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: dice_probabilities.png (81KB, 1015x954px) Image search: [Google]
dice_probabilities.png
81KB, 1015x954px
I've been getting curious about dice and the math behind them.

I was wondering if you know of any usual combinations of dice, or usual methods of counting them that you can use in order to get strange results?

Pic related. If you roll three d6s that are marked with {0,0,1,1,2,2}, then it basically makes a curved version of a d10's results
>>
File: dice_probabilities_2.png (53KB, 1020x656px) Image search: [Google]
dice_probabilities_2.png
53KB, 1020x656px
I've recently been trying to come up with some sort of weird probabilities you roll a d2, d3, d4, d5, and d6 at the same time.

The reason for this is because you can use dice shaped like the platonic solids in order to roll this, just by rearranging the numbers on the races. Take a look:

>altered d4 = d{1,1,2,2} = d2
>altered d6 = d{1,1,2,2,3,3} = d3
>altered d8 = d{1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4} = d4
>altered d12 = d{1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5,6,6} = d6
>altered d20 = d{1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,3,3,3,3,4,4,4,4,5,5,5,5} = d5

But even though this starts out promising, I haven't found any probabilities that seem very interesting yet.
>>
>>8995075
>dice and the math behind them
The distribution of the sum of two or more independent die rolls is the convolution of the individual distributions.

That's about the only nontrivial bit of math you'll actually need.
>>
>>8995087
Convolution?
>>
>>8995093
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=convolution+of+distributions
>>
File: dice_probabilities_3.png (37KB, 1070x550px) Image search: [Google]
dice_probabilities_3.png
37KB, 1070x550px
Here's a weird distribution you can get with just three d6s
>>
What program is that OP? It looks like it'd be fun to fiddle around with.
>>
>>8995198
www.anydice.com
>>
File: 216.png (23KB, 1720x567px) Image search: [Google]
216.png
23KB, 1720x567px
Turns out that you can basically turn 3 six-sided dice into a "d216" just by relabeling the sides.
>>
Hmm, this is somewhat interesting. You know I figured that you can use certain calculators in place of dice? All they need is a random generator function and you can emulate any dice, you just need to round the result.
>>
>>8997060
Yes. Technically it won't ever be truly random, in order for that to happen you have to use some outside source (for instance, atmospheric disturbance or something). But the difference would be imperceptible when using a computerized random number generator
>>
>>8997096
>implying the entire universe isn't deterministic
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.