[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Required knowledge to use CRISPR

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1497627036900.jpg (21KB, 351x419px) Image search: [Google]
1497627036900.jpg
21KB, 351x419px
I want to learn how to genetically engineer rats and the like using CRISPR, I minored in biology so I have a very solid understanding of the basics of biology, but that was long ago. I want to start fresh.

Any books / sources you recommend?
>>
>>8994413

actually using it is something a trained monkey could probably do
>>
>>8994420

I want to understand the theory
>>
>>8994426
literally read the wikipedia article
>>
>>8994413
I read somewhere you can get an experiment kit you can use to test on random shit
>>
>>8994413
There are kits available, it's very straightforward.
>>
>>8995633

Yeah no. A kit needs an entire lab's worth of necessary background equipment and supplies. Pipettors, tips, thousands of dollars worth of reagents for making solutions and buffers, -80 storage, autoclave (though you could prob get by with a pressure cooker if you knew what you were doing), equipment from microfuges to pH meters to laminar flow hoods to electrophoresis rigs, and on and on and on. Want to get into modifying mammals? Oh boy here we go - now you're talking big league equipment in terms of microinjection apparatus and supplies, controlled environment incubators, animal surgery and housing, etc etc etc.

I could go on and on.
>>
>>8995661
Oh right not to mention synthesis costs - you need some DNA! You're going to need to set up and account with a service that can make the DNA for the new gene you want to put into the animal. Let's assume you manage to set up a business account with one of these companies somehow - well if you want to just one-off a simple example transformation then it should be pretty easy to get a trivial example DNA in there once you spend six months learning the actual complexities of the techniques through trial and error (could easily be a year or more for real). But if you want to do something more hardcore - real genetics - you're going to (a) need to actually design DNA that's going into the animal including all of the necessary regulatory noncoding elements. You might want to take a step back here and spend 4-8 or more years getting a solid working understanding of genetics and biochemistry before you sit down and start actually putting DNA sequences together to make an animal actually do something new (and bearing in mind that full-time professionals find this a challenge except for trivial cases). You could easily be faced with trying to do something that literally nobody in the world knows how to do - so where are you going to start?

And on and on again.
>>
>>8995661
>>8995672
/thread
>>
>>8995661
>>8995672
Or you could move to China and get all of this for the small price of your freedom. Not that you have any if you're a burger, isistani or russian.
>>
>>8994413
If you're serious about that

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3790239/
https://www.nature.com/nbt/journal/v31/n3/full/nbt.2501.html
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/339/6121/819

Give you an idea of what they do with CRISPR, because chances are you're thinking about some hyped gen engineering like super rats and need to be brought back down to earth.

Regarding >>8995661 and >>8995672, go back to uni and do more than minor in bio so you actually have access to equipment
>>
>>8995661

You don't understand how this shit actually works

You need a lab to do things the right way on the records at a university or If you want to get your little academic ass in a serious medical journal or whatever.

You can just do this type of shit on your own if you know what you are doing.

On Youtube there is a guy who built a high speed camera that uses a cutting edge FPGA and DRAM. People will tell you all day that you need a $50k scope, $50k dev board, $240k/yr engineering team, software licenses, production costs, etc. to do that. There is also a guy who built a scanning electron microscope from a photomultiplier tube. There is also a guy who took the cells out of an animal's heart leaving a cellulose shell, inoculated it with some living cells, fed it nutrients, and regrew it.
>>
>>8995836
>You don't understand how this shit actually works

That's funny. How many first-author pubs do you have, junior?

All the pop sci articles in the world aren't going to give you even a taste of what this stuff involves for real, because for any given sentence comparing the genome to a computer, you'd need an asterisk and fifteen pages qualifying why it's more complicated than that. Biology is magnificently complex, and it's a dynamic system of chemical equilibria - woe betide you if you think you can just slot shit in and have it work because it reads that way on buzzfeed. Just getting a couple of regulatory elements to do their thing in a reliable manner (and then get them into verified transformed, let's say mice) is going to take you many repetitions until you figure out that having a G at the start, in this case despite the consensus sequences, for some mysterious reason in this particular genetic backround is throwing a spanner in the whole works - damn shame you didn't see that one obscure paper last year. Back to ordering another $5,000 worth of DNA synthesis for another go, see you in 18 months.
>>
File: 1497649031807.png (436KB, 2636x998px) Image search: [Google]
1497649031807.png
436KB, 2636x998px
>>8995836
>you dont understand
>>
>>8996471
What shitty field are you in that doesn't list authors of a paper by their name?
>>
>>8996636
is this a joke...? biology papers are generally authored in order of contribution.
what shitty field are you that lists author's by some arbitrary ordering system based on their last name...?
>>
>>8996661
The best field there is- mathematical physics, but alphabetical ordering is standard in every non-meme field. But i get that biologists have to compensate for their lack of talent by bragging they're first in something ;^
>>
File: 1496462470780.png (92KB, 500x485px) Image search: [Google]
1496462470780.png
92KB, 500x485px
>>8996832
Not him, organic chemist here - we do the same thing. First name is the person who did most of the work, then descending order, then the PI.
>having so many people working on a paper that you can't properly distribute credit so you just list all 60 of them by alphabetical order
Neck yourself
>>
>>8997761
I did say it was a standard in any non-meme field, mr. Lowe. There are very few papers that have more than 4 papers in this field. Everyone that contributed deserves to be listed, when someone feels like they didn't contribute enough, they ask to not be listed. Our field lacks brainlets that need to heal their ego by being listed first on some paper.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.