[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Self Studying Chemistry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: zumdahl.jpg (53KB, 405x500px) Image search: [Google]
zumdahl.jpg
53KB, 405x500px
The wiki says that Chemistry the Central Science is the best textbook for a beginner. However I've heard others say Zumdahl is better. Which should i use?
>>
why not both?
>>
File: image.jpg (54KB, 611x499px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 611x499px
If you know calculus and you have a strong passion for chemistry, just start by using two books: Chemical Principles by Atkins and Principles of Modern Chemistry by Oxtoby. They're hard, but focusing on one book and reading the other book for alternative explanations and extra problems will give you a solid intuition of general chemistry. The best brainlet book is probably Chemistry: The Central Science, but it's quite mediocre, and it doesn't get better than that for other similar caliber books.

All of the other general chemistry books are mediocre at best, and even these books could use a fresh method of presentation of concepts and connections, so searching too hard for the best general chemistry book is going to be a fruitless exercise. You're better off diving into what I've mentioned and pushing through to the more specialized areas, where the texts are far better. Clayden for organic, Macquarrie for physical, Lehninger for biochemistry, Miessler for inorganic are all fantastic, so there's light at the end of the tunnel.
>>
>>8993746
This pic is still fucking pleb. Hope some guy screen capped our previous conversation on this absolutely trash notation, because I dont feel like schooling you again.

>Good luck on predicting stability through resonance
>>
>>8993734
>he fell for the /sci/ wiki meme
>>
>>8993758
fuck off
>>
>>8993755
>our conversation
We never spoke before. I've never cared about this shit, just wanted to post the first thing I found that was chemistry-related.
>>
>>8993755
Stop hijacking my thread
>>
>>8993746
there was very minimal Calculus in Physical Chemistry rate law and some nuclear chemistry but other than that its obsolete.

Most of Gen. Chem as Algebra based and conversion

>>8993734
Learn how to do the end of chapter problems and look up tests online to maximize your learning since you are self teaching.
>>
>>8994243
You're right. There's more chapters in both books that include some calculus problems (Atkins labels them) but as long as you can do algebra 2 or precalculus, then you should be fine.

What do you mean by obsolete? Are there better books out there?
>>
Recommended chemistry reads to master drug synthesis?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.