[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Contingency plan for space

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 1472578913601.jpg (534KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1472578913601.jpg
534KB, 1920x1080px
So is there or has there been written articles on contingency plans or what if's in the case interstellar travel becomes viable? Do we have a set first planet to visit first (besides Mars)? What kind of governmental system do they plan on using? I can't imagine everyone getting to be degenerate as hell in confined spaces.

What about in case aliens attack? Do we have a plan that's grounded in known physics, of what's possible and what's not?

If there have been, can someone give me some links, please?
>>
>>8992612
>> interstellar travel becomes viable
Fat chance of that happening anytime soon buddy.

So:
No.
NOOO.
NOPE.
>>
>>8992626
>Fat chance of that happening anytime soon buddy.
Meh, maybe, maybe not.
The folks at CERN could discover a new fundamental force, or something similar.
Just imagine if we could suddenly manipulate gravity and acceleration as well as we control electromagnetism.
Or what about the Chinese quantum satellite?
They're experimenting with using entangled particles to send encryption keys (so nobody can eves drop on the key without destroying it).
OK, entanglement doesn't apparently involve FTL comms, but what if we develop spin-modulation radio?
Then we suddenly learn that pulsars (or some other source) are carrying data because they're modulated in a way we've never used before ourselves?
And then there's AI, or some other manifestation of exponential growth of technology.
And what if some country has been developing some kind of interstellar drive tech in secret?
All far-fetched of course, but there's got to be a million ways we could suddenly get there.
>>
It's pointless to even think about alien attacks. If that was somehow to happen, which is almost impossibly unlikely, anything that is advanced enough to reach us is also so advanced that they can do anything they want.
It's too early to think about these things, I doubt we will ever manage to leave the solar system.
>>
File: 1482670346859.jpg (35KB, 300x270px) Image search: [Google]
1482670346859.jpg
35KB, 300x270px
>>8992626
>contingency plan
stop shitposting you petulant child
>>
>>8992647
the chances of that happening range from slim to none.

Besides, if it's a development we cannot anticipate, we cannot plan for it.

>>8993203
It's completely asstarded to develop a contingency plan for the possibility of interstellar travel. First, the details of how interstellar travel works will heavily dictate what planet to visit, what kind of governmental system is used, and if confined spaces are even a problem. We can't anticipate these.

Also what's the fucking point of developing a contingency plan for something that's supposed to be good? We tend to develop said plans for things that are bad. Doing so is just masturbation.
>>
>>8992612
Who's they? We are the generation given this task. We are the stars!
>>
>>8992612
I guess we would follow the course we've taken so far. Start by sending researchers and scientists up there to learn learn about space and what is and isn't viable. Then we'd make a contingency plan once we determine it is viable to colonize space.
>>
File: 1493611114116.jpg (49KB, 407x300px) Image search: [Google]
1493611114116.jpg
49KB, 407x300px
>>8992612
>What about in case aliens attack? Do we have a plan that's grounded in known physics, of what's possible and what's not?
>>
>>8993338
>Also what's the fucking point of developing a contingency plan for something that's supposed to be good?

Imagine it becomes viable. Is America going to have a space race against Russia, China, and India and wherever else to go to the first planet? How does that not become like the New World and lead to wars?
>First, the details of how interstellar travel works will heavily dictate
Yeah except we can already do math to determine how many years it will take to reach other stars, and determine ones that are in reach if we have a certain kind of breakthrough. It's not hard to speculate; it's just relativistic kinematics. What I'm asking is there any speculation on how we would transform or seed a planet if we arrive there. Studies similar to the biodome studies. Studies on shielding. Studies on possible psychological problems that could arise.
>>
>>8993889
>>relativistic kinematics
Relativity dictates that it takes HUGE amounts of energy to boost stuff to relativistic speed and that relativistic impacts do HUGE amounts of damage.

If this becomes possible, our first concern is not going to be which planets we target, but how to avoid blowing ourselves up

The large energy requirements are gonna prevent this from happening anytime soon.
>>
>>8992612
More like we need a contingency plan for when we realize nothing but a colony ship will ever achieve interstellar travel.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.