[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If heat is the degree which particles vibrate, how can there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_7491.jpg (24KB, 426x345px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7491.jpg
24KB, 426x345px
If heat is the degree which particles vibrate, how can there be heat in a true vacuum?
>>
>>8991713
Heat is the amount of energy flowing from one body of matter to another due to their temperature difference or by any means other than through work or the transfer of matter.

What you are describing is the internal energy due to its temperature.

particles in a vacuum can still emit thermal radiation and collide with with each other to cause heat transfer.
>>
>>8991713
You're on the right track. There are no particles; everything is fields, and fields are not particles, nor have they any accurate explanations.
>>
>>8991731
Oops. I'm weak with my 9th grade physics. But still, if you isolate radiation, how can there be heat transfer?
>>
>>8991713
>If heat is the degree which particles vibrate
It's not. That's internal energy.
>>
Heat: Q
Change in internal energy: ΔU

There is a difference
>>
>>8991731
Why does the energy flow from one body to the other?
>>
>>8992267
If you isolate a particle so that it can't transfer heat, heat transfer wont occur. Heat, temperature and internal energy are different things. Thats very ideal btw.

>>8992356
Matter and particles tend to seek the lowest energy level. So, if there is a particle with more energy than another, it'll transfer heat to the other until they reach equillibrium.

On the otherhand, if work is done on the system, you could reverse the heat transfer, but thats getting more complicated.

All this is covered by the Clausius statement. Im also keeping it simple. Wait until you get to entropy, enthalpy and heat pumps and stuff.
>>
>>8992393
So, for example, if I turned on a big vacuum cleaner in a room clean of radiation and no air or dust was left, what particles would still be interacting to give the place a temperature?
Also, what's the difference between internal energy and temperature?
Sorry for the basic questions, I'm just really rusty. Are there any books I could read more on basic physics like this or should I just dig up my old HS textbooks?
>>
electromagnetic radiation
>>
>>8992446
Temperature is the intensity of heat energy stored in an object.

Since temperature is intensity, its like the potential of heat transfer. So temperature is just comparable. Like, it takes more energy to heat water than copper, but if a hot copper ball is dropped in cold water, they will reach equal temperatures, despite how much energy is internally stored. Otherwise, radiation will be emitted.
>>
>>8991765
>There are no particles; everything is fields, and fields are not particles, nor have they any accurate explanations

IM-FUCKING-PLYING
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 576x536px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 576x536px
>>8991713
>true vacuum?
>>
File: 1465249128622.gif (875KB, 1000x561px) Image search: [Google]
1465249128622.gif
875KB, 1000x561px
>>8991713
If it's a true vacuum in any sense that implies you have no particles, no kinds of radiation or fields in general, then the system is just one big vacuum state. If it is also perfectly isolated from the remaining universe it will remain that way; S=0, It's kill. No Temperature or anything.
>>
>>8991713
>If heat is the degree
...but it's not.
Lrn2heat fgt pls
>>
>>8991713
There are vibrations along quantum strings
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.