[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one create "good" music? Is there a science

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

How does one create "good" music? Is there a science behind this?
>>
My personal method : I start with chord progressions. Naturally some chords flow smoothly from one to another better than others. Basically following the diatonic scale and the circle of fourth/fifths. More so than that there are major/minor tonalities, which mix together to form joy or sadness. I come up with a pattern I want to express and then work around that.
>>
>Is there a science behind this?

Yes, it's called music theory.
>>
>>8989432
patterns and copying what people are used to hearing. certain chords and sounds are designated "music" because they're used so often, so people automatically associate them with music.
>>
>>>/mu/
>>
>>8989436
do you mind posting a sample of something youve made so i know how much weight to put on this
>>
>>8989440
but that's just a theory
>>
>>8989634
A GAME THEORY
>>
>>8989634

It's regularly put into practice.
>>
arrange sounds in a way that is aesthetically pleasing. no, not a science.
>>
>>8989634
It can't be anything more than a theory until we understand the human brain inside out which will be in a long time.
>>
>>8989432
There are some things pretty well understood and used to great success in the pop music industry. For example how every song is a variation of the sonata form, which is well received by pretty much all humans.
It's also known that beats make songs catchy and that melodies attract people's attention. But there's no universal formula for a popular song as far as I know, just a bunch of concepts.
There's also the fact that while music theory can teach you how to make a song popular and well received, it doesn't mean that it's going to be a "good" song. That's way too subjective at least for the current state of science. Kpop, summer hits like despacito, ariana grande, and so on are examples of this. Sonata form, check. Catchy beats, check. Melody, check. They are popular and liked by the masses, but I wouldn't call them good.

An interesting research has found that when people learn why songs are catchy, they stop finding them as catchy. There was a pretty good book on this but I totally forgot the name of the author.

>>8989634
Is this a joke? Theory has different meanings depending on context
>>
>>8989432
Buy a guitar, don't tune in standard, fuck with effects pedals and then jam around until you like how it sounds
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.