[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm dumb and can't figure out how to proceed on this proof

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: fQPxa.png (90KB, 1025x648px) Image search: [Google]
fQPxa.png
90KB, 1025x648px
First, suppose S is an ordered field with the LUB property, take A, a nonempty subset of S bounded above and below. Consider L a subset of S consisting of the lower bounds of A, A is bounded below, so L is not empty, so it has a least upper bound, call it s.
Now we must show s is a greatest lower bound of A. This is where I'm stuck, I don't know how to justify that s is in L.
Assuming this is true, though, can I say that for any x > s, there is some a in A such that a <x and then be done, as s is the glb of A?
>>
>>8987251
The lower bounds of B have no relation to the upper bounds of L in the assumptions. It's easy to find a subset of B not in L that contains the greatest lower bound of B.

The proof is incorrect
>>
>>8987267
My proof or Rudin's, also I forgot to mention that L is bounded above by any element of B
>>
>>8987267
>It's easy to find a subset of B not in L that contains the greatest lower bound of B.

what are you talking about? Greatest lower bound of B is a lower bound of B, therefore it's in L
>>
>>8987251
>First, suppose S is an ordered field with the LUB property, take A, a nonempty subset of S bounded above and below. Consider L a subset of S consisting of the lower bounds of A, A is bounded below, so L is not empty, so it has a least upper bound, call it s.
Ok

>Now we must show s is a greatest lower bound of A. This is where I'm stuck, I don't know how to justify that s is in L
If you assume s is not in L, then there exists a point in S, say c, less than s. Now we must have that there exists another lower bound for S between s and c, otherwise c would be the real inf of S. But we cant have a lower bound of S greater than c. I'm not even gonna read what Rudin wrote, but its probably the same thing.

>Assuming this is true, though, can I say that for any x > s, there is some a in A such that a <x and then be done, as s is the glb of A?
Yes. It follows from the definition of the glb. For otherwise what you have listed as x would be the real glb.
>>
>>8987267
>I don't know what I'm talking about but I'm just going to sperg out and say whatever the fuck I'm thinking
>>
>>8987344
Ignore that bit about c being the real inf of S. There still must be another lower bound between c and s, otherwise the real inf would be less than OR equal to c.
>>
>>8987344
Do you mean to say A whenever you say S?
>>
>>8987251
>This is where I'm stuck, I don't know how to justify that s is in L.
What part of Rudin's justification you don't understand though? It seems pretty clear: any element less than s is not an upper bound of L (since s is the least upper bound) implying that any element less than s is not in A (since all A's elements are upper bounds of L) meaning that s ≤ any element of A - the definition of being a lower bound of A -> [math]s \in L[/math] since all lower bounds are.
>>
>>8987383
So because all elements of A are upper bounds of L is logically equivalent to elements that are not upper bounds of L are not in A, ie elements less than the least upper bound are not elements of A, so elements of A are greater than or equal to s, so she is a lower bound of A, and is hence in L
>>
>>8987421
correct
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.