[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What to say to GCSE Tutor to convince her I can do higher tier maths?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: stressed.jpg (14KB, 350x210px) Image search: [Google]
stressed.jpg
14KB, 350x210px
Today I did an assessment and only got 22% on it, I feel beyond fucked since I need to get into the higher tier maths so I can get an A, know how to do maths properly at advanced levels so I can go to university.

Please help me out /sci/ what can I say to the tutor to convince him at the interview next week that I can do it? Britfag btw.
>>
>Today I did an assessment and only got 22% on it
wants to take higher level maths.
>>
If you were seeking reassurance here? You will find none.
>>
>>8987096
Why do you think the assessment isn't an accurate evaluation of your results in this program? Unless you have a really good reason, I'd say you're intentionally setting yourself up for failure. There's easier and less catastrophic ways to do that. Challenge a buff guy to an arm wrestling match. Challenge a nerd to a chess match. Ask a hot chick on a date. Seriously. I understand looking into the abyss and wanting to jump in. But don't do that with your education. It's a lot harder to get second chances there.
>>
>>8987387
this m8
>>8987096
Don't fret, assesment test placed me in college algebra even though i knew more than college algebra and learned up to calculus 1 in highschool, now in junior year i'm doing PDE's and complex analysis, yes it took me longer (got associates at CC in 3 years, now transfered as junior for 4th year and 2 years to go till i get bachelors), point is m8 that you gotta roll with it, also retaking classes reinforces the concepts behind them, you may leanr something you didn't know back then now
>>
>>8987096
I was in your situation OP my school put everyone on foundation tier including myself. I was stuck with C in Maths for whole entire life.

If your tutor is not listening to you, don't put up with her bullshit. Go find a different tutor! Whoever is your tutor just wants you to pass they're lazy fuck and are avoiding extra teaching.
>>
>fails at algebra
>want to do higher maths
>>
>>8987690
They do this because the government tells them that all they need to get each kid is a C so why risk putting too many kids in the higher tier? It's pretty criminal really.

Also thanks for the memories
>Be in GCSE year 10
>Bad at maths for as long as I can remember
>Thre were 5 sets, bottom 3 was foundation, top 2 was higher
>Got put in 3rd set
>Kids just threw paper planes, quadratics were declared too difficult to bother teaching us
>Threw planes until one day read that trigonometry can be used to measure distances without leaving your position
>Read more about all the useful applications of maths
>Before this point just felt like maths was wasting time on pointless puzzles
>Study hard and kill next algebra exam
>Teachers are so stunned they move me right up to top set
>Was too fast for me and students there were a bunch of elitist dicks who bullied me for coming from foundation tier
>Moved down to 2nd set, still higher but slower
>By Year 11 was confident enough to move back to top set
>Get A in GCSE Maths
>Wanted to do A level maths
>Teacher obviously saw my rise in GCSE as a fluke and told me I'd fail it.
>One older dude told me it was nothing and I should ignore them and do it
>Signed up
>C1 struggled primarily because no calculator, teacher tried to kick me out
>Stayed in and got a B on that module
>After they gave us calculators I just went Super Saiyan
>80-90% on every unit
>All those kids who bullied me in GCSE for being dumb I was blowing them out of the water
>Even after all this the school still blocked me from A Level further maths
>Only had money to teach like 2 kids the subject and I was still seen as a fluke kid
>Eventually left with an A in A-Level maths, missed out on A* because goofed up an integration in C4
>Went to do STEM at university, dropped out after a few months because too autistic to function
>While there I got introduced to those further maths topics that they said was too hard for me in sixth form
>It's fucking nothing
>>
>>8987096
OP, another britfag here.

Do a shit ton of past papers, timed conditions and all.

git gud.

show results to tutor.

22% is fucking awful and this is more accurate to ur skill than you want to hear most likely so just bang out some past papers until you have the marks u want to get in the exam to show ur tutor
>>
http://www.examsolutions.net/gcse-maths/

British state education is awful but you can teach yourself everything from the internet now.

Sorry your parents didn't love you enough to send you to a private school neither did mine.
>>
>>8987749
Nice story

I'll share mine:
> be me doing GCSE year 10
> Teachers decide we are ready to sit GCSE Maths Foundation level
> few months later sit exam
> I found it piss easy
> Wait results
> Get my grade I passed as expected.
> The majority of the class pass as well.
> Headteacher congratulates us and tells us that we don't have to do Maths anymore and decides to move everyone who passed to extra GCSE English classes.
> Some people as well I ask that they want to continue Maths
> They refuse and make us do English no matter how much we argue.

> After all of this now I'm year 11
> Finish all other GCSEs
> I decide I want to go on to Sixth Form and do A-levels
> Find out I can't do the subjects I want like A level Computer Science since I need Grade B or higher in Maths
> Forced to choose A level ICT which was complete shit, Biology, Business and Psychology

After all of this here I am at uni studying Computer Science on my final year.
>>
>>8987096
Study more and ask to retake the test. You shouldn't sweet talk your way in.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.