[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Super battery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: exploded-note-7.jpg (85KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
exploded-note-7.jpg
85KB, 620x413px
https://youtu.be/dTYFecSg1a0
So I just watched this and some blokes created a battery that doesn't explode! Among other cool things check out 30mins on. Stab it m, cut it up to shreads and it still works
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/tech/new-damage-proof-battery-has-higher-energy-density-wont-explode/
>The key to the invention is a solid plastic electrolyte, the substance that bridges the gap between the positive and negative electrodes.
>But Zimmerman’s battery can withstand repeated damage without risking explosion or fire. In fact, it can continue to power devices even after most of it has been chopped away.
>Zimmerman’s solid plastic electrolyte prevents the formation of what are known as dendrites, or tendrils of lithium that spread from the electrode through the electrolyte and can cause dangerous short-circuits.
This guys might end up a very rich man
Thought you guys might be interested
>>
>>8985912
So it either has shittily high internal resistance or so soft it can be cut with a plastic knife?
>>
>>8985940
Watch it.
The individual cell they use is so thin you can cut it with a pair of scissors.
But because there's no liquid or gel inside, cutting it in half doesn't prevent it from working.
Don't be a hater.
>>
>>8985940
I suppose you work for samsung
>>
>>8985912
I do research on solid polymer electrolytes for this exact purpose. This article is trash.
>>
>>8986981
can you expand on that? im super interested in this stuff but am biology oriented
>>
non degradable salt bridge isnt viable long term
>>
>>8986984
I was being a bit harsh, but the article is detail-light pop science. I just know a lot about the topic so it's frustrating to read.

There's still a lot of work to be done for any solid electrolyte battery to be really useful. Compared to liquid electrolytes, the conductivity is much lower, and they operate at much higher temperatures. Also, there's just some things in the article which are plain wrong, like what they said about dendrites in solid polymer electrolytes.
>>
>>8987009
Not him but can you post what your undergrad major and masters level subspecialty was, for the reason that i'm going into grad school and wanting to work on batteries, i dual majored in chem and physics.

What is your specialty in grad school and what advice do you have?
>>
>>8987009
>I was being a bit harsh, but the article is detail-light pop science. I just know a lot about the topic so it's frustrating to read.
i know exactly what you mean. sensationalizing one article, especially when they didnt even understand the fucking implications of the conclusion, is quite common nowadays.

what would be the main drawbacks to implementing this battery they are advertising? what work still needs to be done before this kind of shit is possible?
>>
>>8987027
I majored in chemical engineering for my undergrad, and I'm currently doing a chemical/materials engineering PhD with a focus on computations.

I don't know exactly what classes you took, but if you're interested in batteries, I would definitely look into taking some transport phenomena classes. If you're going into the battery field, it's incredibly important and you'll thank yourself later.
>>
>>8987039
It's hard to give a good answer to that since this lab group isn't going to be publishing any proprietary information. Still, I would imagine that the conductivity is probably orders of magnitude less than liquid lithium ion batteries. It's not clear what the appropriate temperature ranges are for this thing are either. That PBS article paradoxically states that it will work for 'phones, cars, and more' while all of those operating temperatures are wildly different. All I can say is don't fall for this meme. If this was really a super material, there'd be a lot more for the scientific community to say about it.

A lot of work has to be done on developing models for the chemical kinetics of solid polymer electrolytes. It's hard to use computational tools to find better materials when there's just so many unknowns; the margin of error for all these models is enormous. Finding a polymer with good mechanical stability, conductivity, cost (I think the polymer I'm currently working with is $500/g), among other things is very difficult to do.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.