[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes the heart beat? Electricity.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: heart.jpg (949KB, 1325x1500px) Image search: [Google]
heart.jpg
949KB, 1325x1500px
I met up with a 100 year old woman some time ago. We spoke about life and I asked her what she was most thankful for in her life and she answered: my heart. It got me to thinking. How amazing is not this muscular organ. With all the shit that man goes through it can still manage to keep beating for a century.

Anyone with knowledge care to explain how it is possible for a heart to beat for a 100 years. What is this electricity and what are great protips for keeping the heart in great condition.
>>
According to the American Heart Association the heart beats an average of 100,000 times a day -- anywhere from 60 to 100 beats a minute -- which adds up to more than 2.5 billion beats by the time we turn 70-years-old.
>>
>>8981009
it's muscle contractions
>>
>>8981009
>Anyone with knowledge care to explain how it is possible for a heart to beat for a 100 years.

Teenagers always get this wrong. Do you even know what keeps it beating in the first place?

Read up on muscle function and neural signaling. The heart is just a fancy twisted muscle.
>>
>>8981032
>Do you even know what keeps it beating in the first place?
No, hence the question.
>>
>>8981009
Well, the main reason for it: the heart has not experienced too much hypoxia and cellular damage during lifetime.

There are many factors to this.
1. Low genetic tendency for cardiovascular diseases. If you get shitty genes from your parents, you have to compensate with nutrition and healthy lifestyle if you wish to keep your body operational a long time.
2. Enough physical work. It increases the stroke volume of heart and reduces the heart rate substantially. More blood flow with less burden.
3. Healthy nutrition and habits that decrease the risk for high blood pressure, diabetes, atherosclerosis etc. which may lead to cardiac cell damage.
>>
>>8981078
Thanks! Great answer, really.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.