[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lorentz force "space propulsion" ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: fingering-gf.png (21KB, 706x548px) Image search: [Google]
fingering-gf.png
21KB, 706x548px
Hi /sci/! I was basically just watching some elementary school tier videos about magnetism
and the lorentz force in particular, and it struck me.
Wouldn't it theoretically be possible to use the interaction of a planets magnetosphere and a superconducting filament bearing millions of volts to create propulsion for spaceship alignment and manevoyers?

Is this one of those things that are doable but extremely unpractical like photon thrusters?

Pls help all this wondering is giving me a bad high.
>>
>Is this one of those things that are doable but extremely unpractical like photon thrusters?

yup
>>
>>8979213
Even if a sufficient superconductor could be made so you wouldn't have the trouble of dissipating all that heat from the filament?

Or is the interaction simply so small, exactly as with photon thrusters? Wouldn't the force increase with the voltage? High voltage is not really that hard to do is it?

I don't know much about this, but I just want to know why its unpractical help me out anon pls.
>>
>>8979202
I think some satellites, particularly cubesats, already use this.
>>
Something similar to OP's idea was suggested in Charles Stross' book, "accelerando", where a post-singularity nation/state/corporation/kingdom exclusively owned and inhabited by this teenage girl with a cybernetic superbrain claims one of Jupiter's moons and lays a superconducting loop of wire between its two poles to draw vast amounts of energy used to power an array of lasers which propel a lightsail spaceship in a mission to alpha centauri.

It's a weird book, but weird in all the best ways.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.