[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Brag Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: ye.png (170KB, 401x419px) Image search: [Google]
ye.png
170KB, 401x419px
>Feb 2015
>Be me, junior in HS
>Read a Nature paper about molecular biology from Reddit
>Wanna see where the work goes
>Hear nothing for nearly a year
>Jan 2016
>Get fed up with waiting, so I message the lead researcher directly
>He tells me all about the work and how it got funding for human trials and shit
>7 months pass
>Find out his institute has a research fellowship for undergrads
>interesting.jpg
>Email him, asking if he knows anything about it
>He tells me to email him in June of '17 and he can guarantee a position for summer '18
>Fuck yeah
>Wait 8 months
>Message him a week ago
>He replies
>"we can keep paid slot open for you in summer 2018. Now your job is to remind me around March 2018 to get the paperwork going. Looking forward to meeting such a persistent student"

mfw
>>
>>8976965
>biology
>>
>>8976965
>Reddit
you know what you've doomed your thread to be?
>>
>>8976965
We don't care. No one here cares. You are not a special snowflake for doing some shitty lab bitchboy job for a researcher. The only emotion I feel towards you and your post are mild anger for having been lured into wasting my time reading it.

Leave, die, or do both, you literal underage b& ledditor trash. Saged.
>>
>>8977156
/sci/ needs to be cleansed from autistic mathfags
>>
>>8977168
True, but what will that leave?
>>
>>8976965
>>8976965
>Read a Nature paper about molecular biology from Reddit
>from Reddit
Why would you include that bit? You could have just said you read a molecular biology paper. The fact that you completely unnecessarily referenced reddit means this must be bait.
>>
>>8976965
>summer 18 comes about
>Anon, it has been so long. I am so glad you made it here. We have a spot just for you, we just need to be sure that you have all the pre-requisites. This is a research facility after all. In 2015 when you first emailed me you were already a university student right? So you must now be at least a junior or about to finish your undergrad so that should be enough. But you know, because of management I need to check the classes you have taken so please hand me all your grades so I can check them one by one

>college algebra- D
>introduction to the introduction of biology - B-
>anatomy of really simple animals - B-
>introduction to introductory chemistry - D
>Personal Hygiene and Grooming - F

>Uh... we'll call you. Thank you for coming.
>>
>>8977171
Harmony. All our woes, without exception, are caused by the eternal autist.
>>
>>8977177
I just finished my lunch and im already kek
>>
>bragging anonymously
>about unverifiable facts
>on an irrelevant anonymous board
>>
>>8977156
>>8977172
>getting this assblasted over a website you don't like
>>
>>8976965
When I was in 3rd grade Terrence Tao emailed me and said he heard I was a pretty smart guy and asked if I wanted to hang out. I never replied.
>>
>>8976965
i called einstein a filthy kike to his face
>>
>>8977688
you really can't believe that a probably underage high school kid got invited to do lab work by a generous professor? why would anyone even bother making that shit up?

good for you OP, go to uni and then switch to materials science
>>
>>8977865
not him but I can believe it.

I am skeptical that this position is anything much to envy though. It probably seems glamorous and important to OP but he'll probably just get used to do bitch work in the lab. Most likely it's still a good opportunity, but if all it took to get it was being "persistent" then it's probably not in much demand.
>>
>>8977870
it's probably a big deal for him. do you remember how fucking boring high school was? for someone who is interested in science as a career path it's important all the same, even if they're just going to be micro-pipetting and shadowing frazzled grad students.

and i'm always surprised with how much you can get with persistence
>>
>>8977873
>and i'm always surprised with how much you can get with persistence
yeah, just showing interest goes a long way. I remember doubting that my advisor would want anything to do with me, because there were so many smart people in the class, some clearly better than me.

But as it turned out, they wanted to do other things. My combination of being interested and willing to do research with him, plus doing OK in his class, was enough.

I'm sure this is a big deal for OP and he should absolutely brag about it on his CV and stuff.
>>
>PhD student
>Join lab with leader in my field
>Already has two papers for me, ready to write with minimal data processing
>Likes my homework so much they think I should submit it for my prelim grant
>literally gives me half a review to update and use as my thesis intro
>Lab is known for spitting PhDs out in 4 years

Thank god I didn't go into my first rotation lab with the new prof
>>
>>8977171
Successful people
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.