[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Inquiry of Relevance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4

File: hela_cover.jpg (411KB, 1611x2400px) Image search: [Google]
hela_cover.jpg
411KB, 1611x2400px
So, next year I will be attending university and studying at said university's College of Engineering.

As part of my admission as a first year engineering student, I must read, before the start of the fall semester, a novel that each year the school picks as a "common read" for its freshman class.

The novel for my class is : "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks".

Now if you are interested in seeing what the book is about, read the Wiki entry on it, and if you want to read it yourself order it on Amazon, but the reason I made this thread is this :

> How and why is this book appropriate for a freshman first-year engineering student.

When I first looked into the book, I thought to myself, "Okay, it's going to be an anecdotal education on ethics in relation to science, in the context of medicine."

However, when I started reading the book, it felt more like a biography with injections of medical jargon and a subtle political argument on race and class.

To me, this is a book that feels more appropriate to a history college or medical college than an engineering college, and the sense of racial and class commentary that is seemingly ingrained in all of the prose of the pages brings a suggestively political atmosphere that I will not have in any engineering clique.

From there, I ask any Anons who have read this book :

> What did you think about it?
> Do you think it's appropriate for an engineering class?
> Any thoughts on the story or persons involved?
>>
Holy shit is your post unbearable to read. I don't give a fuck about your book and just wanted you to know that your writing tone comes off exactly like an 18 year old trying his autismo hardest to sound as intelligent as possible.
>>
>>8976015
Looks like someone didn't pass their mandatory humanities classes this spring....
>>
>>8976009
>colleges shove ideology down your throat even in circumstances where it's completely uncalled for
Who knew?
>>
File: batman_slaps_robin.jpg (41KB, 648x348px) Image search: [Google]
batman_slaps_robin.jpg
41KB, 648x348px
>>8976015
ouch
>>
File: replying_to_op.jpg (25KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
replying_to_op.jpg
25KB, 620x349px
>>8976015
I'm curious, OP here, is it still trying if this is my regular writing style.

Sure I can play off other styles of writing for the sake of role play, but this is my natural style.
>>
>>8976044

He's just jealous because you write well OP.

I thought the book was laughably bad. The basic story is that she had a biopsy, got free radiation treatment for the cancer detected, but died anyway. Part of the sample that was taken for biopsy, a mixture of cancer and normal cells, was sent on to a researcher looking for cells that could reproduce generation after generation. That was a standard procedure with similar biopsy samples. Hers turned out to work for that purpose.

I didn't see any racial angle at all, though that was the whole premise of the book. She wasn't treated any differently than anybody else, and her treatment was not affected in any way by the study. Standards for consent were looser at the time, though frankly it's difficult for me to see why anyone would care about the remnants from their biopsy sample back then.

A lot of the book deals with her troubled family. I wasn't interested in that at all.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.