[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Real Analysis vs Abstract Algebra

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: 1.jpg (5KB, 250x119px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
5KB, 250x119px
I'm taking both classes next semester, and while I'm planning on studying both, which is the tougher course? Should I study more for one than the other?
>>
Real analysis if you are taking both at the same level.
>>
>>8974478
Learn linear algebra before abstract algebra
Learn topology before real analysis
>>
real analysis is a troll course: "hey let's waste 3 months doing a bunch of shit with epsilon and deltas and a bunch of lemmas, then 1 week before the course ends: "oh btw in topology you can just define a metric and all this shit we talked about can be done with a metric and you don't need to worry about continuity just check inverse function of open is open lol!"
>>
>>8974490
Only if you take real analysis for brainlets.
>>
>>8974490
We didn't get to this in my analysis class, just Delta epsilon's all the way down
>>
>>8974490
Yea, why don't we just teach stokes theorem in calc and end the course there...
>>
>>8974490
my professor would always put every equivalent definition down at once. sometimes a simple eps delta is easier once youve been drilled to do them, too. they're still the least elegant thing in all of analysis.
>>
>>8974601
The definitions are pretty elegant, doing the proofs of the important results are the ugly bit.
>>
>>8974607
the definitions are simple and intuitive, which is good, but it leaves us with a not so elegant tool.

going all the way and defining infinitesimals with rigor, on the other hand, would give us very elegant tools, and just as powerful.
>>
>>8974478
Wtf is that image supposed to mean? Is algebra going to get me a job in finance where all I have to do is sit in a chair and stare at a chalkboard?
>>
Also algebra is fucking hard. toughest class I've taken at the graduate level.
>>
>>8974490
>what is a measure
>>
>>8974490
The definition of an open set makes zero sense if you didn't do the epsilon delta first though. You need that intuition in R where an finding an open neighbourhood of x ~ points arbitrarily close to x.
>>
>>8974484

How much topology? I have a book on elementary point set topology. I wasn't sure if I should do that or Spivaks Calculus
>>
>>8974835
lol topology wtf you talking about
>>
>>8974831
That might be true

[spoiler]IF YOU ARE A BRAINLET[/spoiler]
>>
File: wajakb2.jpg (56KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
wajakb2.jpg
56KB, 645x773px
>>8974490
>his analysis course didn't start with metric spaces
>>
>>8974484
>Learn topology before real analysis
most retarded thing I've ever heard
topology doesn't make sense if you don't know real analysis
>>
File: 446-pure-math-vs-applied-math.png (39KB, 473x226px) Image search: [Google]
446-pure-math-vs-applied-math.png
39KB, 473x226px
>>8974478
Why even waste your time?
>>
>>8975235
t. brainlet
>>
>>8974831
you don't need epsilons you can do everything with a delta(x,y) metric function

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_(mathematics)
>>
>>8976364
But on metric spaces it still is full of epsilons and deltas. You still talk about distances.

>>8974478
Probably abstract Algebra because it introduces more new stuff. It's one of the courses that gives the most trouble to students in unis.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.