[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

the science of multitasking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: stock_multi.jpg (146KB, 1079x763px) Image search: [Google]
stock_multi.jpg
146KB, 1079x763px
Is multitasking a bad idea. It seems like it's baked into everything these days. Are there any good papers, articles, or books about this and the science behind the brain?
>>
From my understanding multitasking actually lowers cognotive performance which was displayed in a small case study on individuals who were tasked with certain mental tests, and those who did something as little as listening to lyric background music (which is considered multitasking due to their brains interpreting the lyrics at the same time as doing the task) had their performance drop to as much as 10%. It was estimated their iq dropped around ten points as well if that is any indicator to you. As far as research papers, this one isn't the best but it has good material. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Rachel_Adler/publication/220108779_Juggling_on_a_high_wire_Multitasking_effects_on_performance/links/559951b508ae99aa62cc51c5.pdf
>>
Thanks anon. I'm a computer hobbiest and I've tried different interfaces. That is my main point of interest really. I know most people are phone users, but I'm interested in human computer interaction. The most interesting point I see is that the command line has survived at least 40 years and still remains relevant.
>>
>>8974172

Yes, it's a poor idea because of how the brain works. By constantly shifting your attention, you're wasting your limited memory capacity by having it "hold on to" stuff while you deal with something else, and, you are confusing the various agents in your brain by using them to do two things at once. Do one thing at a time until you finish it,you'll find you're way more productive.
>>
>>8974172
Multitasking doesn't work, brain is only setup to focus on very few things at any given time. Supposedly you can train people to multitask but that doesn't even work as well as not multitasking.

I read and watched lectures from some "Learning How to Learn" free online course where they drill you with a bunch of recent papers in cognitive psych and neurosciences and stuff like that. They cite heaps of literature in it.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn

You can just skip all the shit you are not interested in and should be able to find the multitasking lecture and papers.
>>
Multitasking is only possible with very disparate skills. For example, talking on the phone and washing the dishes at the same time.

For anything meaningful multitasking is a complete waste of time.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.