[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My dog fears thunder and fireworks, but not gunshots?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

Hey /sci/, /out/+/k/ here with a question, figured either you or /an/ could explain this shit to me. My dog is instinctually terrified of thunder, and has the same fear of fireworks. But around gunfire he gives no fucks. On the 4th of July he's a whimpering mess, but I can spend all afternoon plinking in my backyard and it doesn't phase him. What's up with that?

I mean the variance in tone and decibels between fireworks going off and small arms between a .22 and 12 gauge going off cannot be that different. If he was afraid of thunder but not fireworks and gunfire, that would make sense, if he was afraid of all three, that would make sense. But how is it he's scared of thunder and fireworks, but not my mossy nugget? What quality distinguishes that sound from a scary sound in his primitive dog brain?
>>
obviously dogs can hear the difference
>>
>>8973874
But it's not just one difference. Different fireworks have different payloads. Different cartridges have different measures of powder. Either is variable, so how does he distinguish between either?

Is it the barrel? Is it the different between the explosion being channeled or unfocused? That's a simple explanation, but could it feasibly be the one? Could selective breeding really have acclimatized them to the specific acoustics of gunfire because it was directed? Granted, most of the dogs I've owned have been hunting dogs or related breeds, and we've done a lot to influence their evolution, but to have it pin-pointed that precisely...it's kind of baffling.
>>
>>8973863
Gunshots are just loud quick bangs, they sound unnatural because they are unnatural.

Thunder sounds like the low growl of a giant animal. Your dog is scared because it's a submissive bitch.
>>
>>8973863
Seeing or knowing the source of the sound may have made him comfortable around guns. But he probably doesn't know where thunder and fireworks come from, so he's afraid of them.

Also frequency of fireworks and thunder vs. guns?
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.