[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Proof Practice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_8212.jpg (31KB, 332x499px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8212.jpg
31KB, 332x499px
Hey /sci/

This book was a rude awakening for me. I was always good at math until I got to proof-based Mathematics and realized I was actually shit at math. The plan has always been Physics which I'm good at, but I miss being able to enthusiastically and confidentially signing up for more and more advanced math classes.

I got a B in real analysis and a B in abstract algebra and it discouraged me a lot. I never had any formal training in proofs and that's what fucking shafted me when I got to this. It's the only reason I haven't taken topology, number theory, graduate group theory, etc.

I'm taking complex analysis next fall as a last shot at pure math before I commit to physics the rest of my life.

Any suggestions, advice, books, etc? Anything helps!
>>
Here are some books you might find useful:

How to Think Like a Mathematician - Kevin Houston
How to Prove It - D. J. Velleman
Mathematics: Its Content, Methods and Meaning - A.D. Aleksandrov, A.N. Kolmogorov, & M.A. Lavrent'ev (optional but still informative)
The Art and Craft of Problem Solving - Paul Zeitz (optional but still helpful)
>>
>>8971798
Try going through the first few chapters of Tao's analysis I. It goes over basic material, but asks you to prove everything rigorously. Might be good for you
>>
>>8971798
Real analysis is a rude awakening for everyone. And if you only like math as it pertains to physics, I wouldn't blame you for struggling with abstract algebra.
>>
>>8971806
>>8971815
Thank you so much!

>>8971817
And I actually do really enjoy learning Pure math, evening if it doesnt directly pertain to physics (although I loved group theory specifically because it helped me understand quantum and particle physics better)

Even though my primary interest is physics, I still love knowing pure math for its own sake.
>>
>>8971798

Boost your mathematical maturity by learning other fields.

A Primer of Abstract Mathematics by Ash
The Joy of Sets: Fundamentals of Contemporary Set Theory by Devlin
An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers by Niven, Zuckerman, and Montgomery
Linear Algebra by Shilov (Dover Books)
Introduction to Logic: and to the Methodology of Deductive Sciences (Dover Books) by Alfred Tarski
Introduction to Metamathematics by Kleene
Principles of Topology (Dover Books) by Croom
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.