[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Four Color Theorem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: FOUR_COLORS.png (28KB, 926x481px) Image search: [Google]
FOUR_COLORS.png
28KB, 926x481px
Serious question, why is pic related not a valid counterexample of the Four Color Theorem? This isn't bait, this is me legitimately trying to understand.

-Shapes must have the same color throughout.

-You cannot have the same color on both sides of a border.

Ergo, if a shape borders itself, (eg. two concentric circles with a single line connecting two points, one on each circle, that doesn't bisect the inner circle) then you will never be able to follow both of the above rules, no matter how many colors you use.

What am I missing?
>>
File: Untitled.png (20KB, 926x481px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
20KB, 926x481px
only took 3 colors
>>
>-You cannot have the same color on both sides of a border.
go re-read the statement of the theorem, it doesn't say this

it says two regions sharing a border can't have the same colour, the green part here >>8968673
is only one region
>>
>>8968668
equations and symbols and shit
>>
>>8968679
Thank you, this was the explanation I was looking for.
>>
>>8968668
That line in your circle is not a border. it is just a line. I'm not clear on weather you meant for it to be the fourth shape or if the circle in the centre is actually connected to the outside and the line represents an infinitesimally small gap.
>>
>>8968703
right, there are 4 options for that line, using the colors from this post >>8968673

1) The line is part of the red territory
->every territory is a neighbor and there are 3 territories
2) the line is part of the green territory
->red is surrounded by and neighbors with green, green is neighbors with blue and red
3)the line is part of the blue territory
->same outcome as 1
4) the line is its own territory, lets call it black
->black is neighbors with green/blue/red, red inherits the relationship in 2), and blue gains a neighbor in black

If you really want to understand these problems though OP, break them down as a series of dots and lines. Try constructing graphs which break the four color theorem. The first proof of this theorem that was accepted was basically a computer doing this millions of times and concluding that it holds (don't get triggered, its a summary)
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.