[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are we sending so many probes to Mars and do not content

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: cassini-huygens_large.jpg (27KB, 640x395px) Image search: [Google]
cassini-huygens_large.jpg
27KB, 640x395px
Why are we sending so many probes to Mars and do not content with a single long lifespan probe?

Also, why do some probes have a lifespan like Cassini which will end its mission soon and some other have an infinite lifespan like the Voyager probes which are traveling the space?
>>
What's the lifespan of probes and satellites?
>>
>>8967775
>infinite lifespan like the Voyager
Voyagers will die in next decade, son.
>>
>>8967775
what sattelite is taking a picture of the cassini sattelite in front of that clealry cgi picture of saturn
>>
>>8967775
Cassini will be crashed into Saturn on purpose before it runs out of fuel, so that it does not accidentally crash into one of Saturn's moons, which might harbor life. The fear is that some microbes from Earth may have survived the journey there, and if Cassini was allowed to just run out of fuel and drift, it could crash into and contaminate one of the moons, ruining any possibility of studying said moon's biosphere.
>>
>>8968594
>Cassini will be crashed into Saturn on purpose before it runs out of fuel, so that it does not accidentally crash into one of Saturn's moons, which might harbor life. The fear is that some microbes from Earth may have survived the journey there, and if Cassini was allowed to just run out of fuel and drift, it could crash into and contaminate one of the moons, ruining any possibility of studying said moon's biosphere.
How do we do to deal with microbes' issue when we send rovers to Mars?
>>
>>8968608
We probably pretended the issue didn't exist for the earliest landers, and the newest 3 rovers had procedures during construction to minimize contamination.
>>
>>8968608
by sterilizing every bolt and nut and pretty much preparing the things for launch in hazmat gear.
Very time consuming and costly process space probes don't undergo, because they are not surface exploration vehicles.
>>
>>8968613
>>8968620
What do you think about space probes' crashes like Messenger's crash on Mercury which are not sterilized?
>>
>>8968628
Its possible that some microbes survived, but I don't think its very likely. Mercury is pretty inhospitable, even for microbes. The solar wind is charged and ionizing, so I don't see really anything surviving that for long.
>>
File: 1490248153123.jpg (15KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1490248153123.jpg
15KB, 184x184px
>>8968628
Mercury is sterile anyway.
I personally don't give a fuck about earthborne contamination.
>>
>>8968635
>>8968638
Many probes died on Venus though which may carry primitive extremophile organisms.
>>
>>8968651
The surface of Venus is hot enough to melt lead. I think its safe to say Venus is sterile too. Or at least that nothing from Earth could survive there for long.
>>
>>8968628
Anything that can survive on mercury is going to eat earth microbes for breakfast
>>8968651
Venus surface temperature is enough to cremate every known organism on earth.
>>
>>8969004
Until recently we thought no organism could live in extreme environnement on Earth, now we know it is wrong, there are organisms in the geysers like the ones of Yellowstone. These geysers which are very hot and rich in sulfure bond the most to Venus.

I don't say there are primitive organisms on Venus, but until we doesn't visit enough of Venus, we cannot be self confidence about the idea of life or not on Venus.
>>
>>8969300
>>These geysers which are very hot and rich in sulfure bond the most to Venus.
Learn to speak english. Venus is hotter than that. WAY HOTTER. 460-500 ° C. The hottest thermophile survives at 122 °C, and it's unlikely that we will get anything that can survive above 150 °C because DNA loses cohesion above that. So again, contaminating the surface isn't a problem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthermophile

The upper atmosphere could have conditions suitable for life. The upper atmosphere is wet and at earth like temperatures, albeit with quite a bit more sulfuric acid.
>>
>>8968608
By not permitting the probes close to where life *still* might exist, only where water probably *has* existed.

Yeah, that is a bit shaky.

>>8968620
>by sterilizing every bolt and nut and pretty much preparing the things for launch in hazmat gear.
Except from that was not done.
>>
>>8968656
>The surface of Venus is hot enough to melt lead.
>Venus surface temperature is enough to cremate every known organism on earth.
>Life can only exist on the surface of a planet
I'd actually say Venus' atmosphere is one of the most likely places to find life outside of earth in the solar system.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.