[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bioinfags

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: d81436527440.png (36KB, 460x259px) Image search: [Google]
d81436527440.png
36KB, 460x259px
Any of you do bioinformatics? I'm a chemist but wet experiments bore the fuck out of me and I miss using actual math. I got a few books on the basics and it seems much more interesting.
What's the field like and how'd you get into it?
>>
Also interested. Taking a course now and it's the most interesting thing I've taken in all of my time in college.

A few things to get familiar with, OP:
>NCBI.
All of it. From the BLAST suite to the databases.
>Ensembl
>Bioinformatics.org
>UnitProt
>CBS suite
All of it
All I can think of right now. Will post more when off work.
>Transfac
Just the free shit.
Also get gud at Python, JavaScript, and MATLAB
>>
>>8968532
you forgot expasy
>>
>>8967452
I'm going into a masters in bioinformatics after summer.
I'm a biochemfag, realized lab work sounds much more exciting than it is. I don't want to spend a single minute doing GuHCl unfolding again.
>>
>>8967452
hey asshole, if you miss doing actual math why don't you do computational chemistry? Or fuck apply math to chemistry? Like this one dude did and got fuckloads of citations.
>>
>>8968532
how do i git gud at MATLAB?

what do i need to know about computers for bioinformatics?
>>
>>8968775
I was doing a Ph.D. in PChem at a ~top 5 institution~ but they had no funding for shit I cared about, I lived in a slum house, and half the profs were complete assholes, so I quit.
>>8968532
I've actually gotten decent at Python over the past year and I'm doing an online machine learning class centered around Octave so that's good news. I kinda hate JS though.
>>8968760
Yeah it's such a jump from how interesting theory is to how tedious actual lab work becomes. I was in organic synthesis for most of undergrad.
>>
>>8967452
That field is the biggest meme in science.
>>
>>8968980
I'm not sure where you've been but computational analysis has exploded in every field over the last decade or so.
>>
>>8968959
Fucked up retard. Should have trudged through and gotten the piece of paper, you will never have the chance again
>>
>>8969145
Considering how many people career jump and do PhDs into their 30s I think I'll be fine, but thanks for your stupid opinion.
>>
Just finished my undergrad in bioinformatics, gonna do a master in bioinformatics next year. I really like it. Ask away if you have questions.
>>
>>8968980
No, you're going to get left behind if you don't or especially can't embrace the tools at hand.
>>8968536
Oh yeah. Praise the Czech Republic.
>>
>>8969326
Huh, I didn't know that offered undergrad degrees in that.

Any tips for someone with a solid chemistry background but merely OK biology? I had straight As in math and did molecular genetics research for half a year. Do you know the general profile of people who migrate to the field?

I'm thinking I should do postbaccs in CS at a community college and some bio at my undergrad, but I wanna go somewhere like Columbia for an MS.
>>
>>8969354
I know it's a bit of a meme response but it really depends on what you'd like to do. My senpais range between never taken a math class after high school to devoting their life to mathematically modeling an organism's metabolome. Bioinformatics is quite a broad field in that regard. Even if you narrow it down to math heavy bioinf, there are still many fields you end up with. The hottest meme right now is in silico protein folding. So I guess what are you interested in? If you don't know yet, that's fine and I would recommend to start with some genomics, see the links that anon shared at the top.
>>
>>8969417
I was doing neuroscience at the start of my undergrad, does anyone you know do computational neuro? That seems like it may be transferable since I was specializing in electronics fabrication.
Isn't distributed computing the way forward in proteomics?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.