[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sci/ analysis study group

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

sup /sci/

I am starting a /sci/ analysis study group. We will work through either baby rudin, papa rudin, or folland's measure theory text depending on the background level of whoever wants to do this with me. I am a math ph.d student with a masters degree in an analysis heavy field (pde/image processing) so I will be the de facto leader, i.e. I will schedule the skype meetings, readings, and exercises. We will probably meet once a week to discuss the assigned reading and exercises depending on how everyone feels. Skype is usually a good option for this in my experience from the /sci/ category theory study group. Ideally, we will not have more than say 8 people total, however people often drop out from this sort of thing so if we start with 8 we will almost certainly end with less. If you're interested, post here and send an email to [email protected]
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (18KB, 248x189px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg
18KB, 248x189px
>>8965728
>I am a math ph.d student
>We will work through either baby rudin, papa rudin, or folland's measure theory text depending on the background level of whoever wants to do this with me.
>I will be the de facto leader
These threads get every day more amusing.
>>
>>8965738
I am able to work through any of those texts independently, just thought it would be more effective to include some other people and discuss the material. I have worked through other analysis/measure theory texts at the graduate level. Are you butt blasted because you are a NEET?
>>
>>8965743
why though? imo mathematics is a solitary field, at least until you get to post grad

until then textbooks and solution manuals (available for both baby and papa rudin) should be enough for any hopeful mathematician who is reasonably capable
>>
>>8965764
there's a mythology in mathematics that the best work is done solely by lone geniuses. history shows that mathematics is best done by mixing group discussion/lectures and solitary study/exercises. both is most effective. what i'm suggesting is both, there will be assigned reading and exercises we all try to solve alone, then we discuss the solutions and readings in a group.
>>
>>8965764
Good math is not solitary.
>>
>>8965769
you're talking about the cutting edge of mathematics there mate. even papa rudin is just about 1st year post grad material. there's almost nothing to discuss especially since there are solutions manuals available.
>>
>Solutions Manual to Walter Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis
https://minds.wisconsin.edu/handle/1793/67009
>>
>>8965769
The mythology rings true. Mathematics has the lowest number of authors per paper, and it has barely experienced the trend the other sciences have of ever increasing numbers of authors per paper. Most math papers are still written by 1 or 2 people.
>>
>>8965786
Or better put, the "mythology", since it's a fact. Mathematics is not a group effort.
>>
>>8965789
>>8965786
https://www.siam.org/pdf/news/485.pdf
>>
>>8965786
>>8965789
>>8965793
wannabes btfo. if any of you had actually done any research in mathematics you would know collaborations are commonplace.
>>
>>8967630
What? All the posts you quoted are mine dumbass. The link just shows solid evidence for what I said, in case someone would not take my word for it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.