[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm gotten so weak in math /sci/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: file10828.jpg (58KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
file10828.jpg
58KB, 400x400px
Can you help me out? This is more of a /adv/ topic, but I thought this board was more relevant to ask.

I'm in my late 20s now, during my school years I used to really fucking good in math like scoring the best marks in class and shit like that. And when college came upon, I started regressing in math. And now after close to 8 years of working in a non-math related job, it appears i've almost entirely fallen off the math train. Right now, I even struggle to do basic division, its really embarrassing to admit. One of my friends gave me advice that this is fine, and apparently more common with people at this age. But I really want to get back to learning math, don't wanna settle for the current state I'm in.

Can you anons let me know if is possible for me to do it, and if so how and where to start again? Thanks.
>>
>>8962104
>Can you anons let me know if is possible for me to do it
probably

>>8962104
>and if so how and where to start again?
depends on where you left off and where you want to go
>>
>>8962104

Ahahaha, I've got the perfect plan for you! Start with some Khan Academy and maybe one of Gelfand's books (the Algebra one is the best and would provide the most bang for your buck). Then begin your mathematics journey again with a decent booklist.

>Chapter 1: Introduction to Entry-Level Mathematics, P. I
Pre-Calculus - Carl Stitz & Jeff Zeager
Calculus: A Modern Approach - Jeff Knisley & Kevin Shirley
The Art and Craft of Problem Solving - Paul Zeitz

>Chapter 2: Introduction to Entry-Level Mathematics, P. II
Linear Algebra and Its Applications - David C. Lay
Calculus of Several Variables - Serge Lang
Applied Differential Equations by Vladimir A. Dobrushkin

>Chapter 3: Introduction to Proofs and Survey of Higher-Level Mathematics
How to Think Like a Mathematician - Kevin Houston
How to Prove It - D. J. Velleman
Mathematics: Its Content, Methods and Meaning - A.D. Aleksandrov, A.N. Kolmogorov, & M.A. Lavrent'ev

>Chapter 4: Bringing It All Together: The First Test of Mathematical Maturity
Calculus Vol. I & II - T. M. Apostol
Analysis I & II - Terrance Tao
>>
>>8962109
Khan Academy seems a bit pricey, is it worth it?
>>
>>8962109
>guy says he struggles with division
>give a book list that includes analysis and differential equations
so this is the power of brainlets...
>>
>>8962135

Well memed.

>>8962184

I told him to start with Khan Academy before and Gelfand's Algebra before jumping into a book list. This isn't even serious differential equations, only an introduction that gives you the basics and the applications. If you want to learn how to do math, you start with middle school math (Khan Academy), work through high school and early college math (precalculus through difEQ and some proofing), then finish with your first encounter with real mathematics. If you truly like math at that point, then you go further into abstract algebra, algebraic geometry, graph theory, or whatever the fuck you want. If you don't, then quit whenever you feel like it.

Maybe you should learn to read before you call other people brainlets, brainlet.
>>
>>8962264
>thinking OP wants to learn real analysis and not simply do long division
>being this much of an autist
>>
>>8962266

>thinking that long division is math

>being this much of a brainlet

Besides, he doesn't have to finish the entire list. Analysis is literally only the last chapter and it happens after three chapters of prep. He could only complete chapter 1 and he'd be well-served if that's all he cares about. What are you, an autist with OCD?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.