[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sci/ & /lit/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Shadows_of_the_Mind.jpg (16KB, 180x272px) Image search: [Google]
Shadows_of_the_Mind.jpg
16KB, 180x272px
Has anyone read this? Or his previous book The Emperor's New Mind?

Any other books about the philosophical interpretations of quantum mechanics/cosmology/mathematics?
>>
File: 169438.jpg (133KB, 838x1280px) Image search: [Google]
169438.jpg
133KB, 838x1280px
By far his best work.
>>
>>8962074
Thanks cobber
>>
Penrose and his anti-inflationary jihad. How can /lit/ be so retarded?
>>8962074
>>
>>8962048

He's a Mysterian, his understanding of the topic is weak despite his phenomenal intelligence and recent developments in AI have BTFO of his work anyway.
>>
>>8962048
One of those scientists who is only famous for spouting nonsense.
>>
>>8962111
Just like Woit, Smolin, Hossenfelder and all the other anti-quantum or anti-strings zealots. Avoid their books like the plague, they have no idea what they're talking about.
>>
>>8962097
>anti-inflationary jihad
Isn't his point that inflation would require a rapid decrease in entropy, while his cyclic universe theory solves that?
>>
>>8962923
B-modes ruled his fantasies out already. Primordial gravitational waves too. And that's just one way in which he's wrong. I won't even touch on his critique of QM and he has no bussiness talking about strings because his understanding of them is on undergrad level.
>>
>>8963554
Interesting, I'll check that out. What's your philosophical interpretation of what we know?
>>
>>8963826
I'm still undergrad, i just now finished bosonic string and am moving on to heterotic string so i'm still too far behind to have a valid opinion on these matters. So far i'm pretty conservative in my worldview, at least among string theorists. I still don't really see the purpose or need for anthropic principle, but it arises in heterotic string, as far as i know. When i finish heterotic strings, i will be able to form an opinion on our universe. So far, it's pretty much aligned with people like Polchinski or Motl who, despite his e-persona, is very likeable and brilliant individual when you meet him.
When someone thinks QM is wrong or inconsistent, you can be pretty sure he's a crackpot. This little guideline rules out the most obnoxious individuals (Smolin, Penrose, Woit, Hossenfelder) and saves you very valuable time that you can invest in actually learning something. The anti-science movement is getting stronger these days because the brilliant scientists are busy researching or writing textbooks, unlike crackpots who have all the time they need to push their idiocy on layman. It's silly because even udergrads like me can see through their bullshit right away (interview with Penrose is comedy gold).
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.