[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

He's coming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

>>
>>8958048
I love this man

Live forever or die trying
>>
>>8958048
>Wants to long
>Drinks beer
You'd think he'd be very strict about his diet, like doing a calorie restricted diet.
>>
>>8958161
His entire work with SENS is based on the assumption that things like diet, exercise etc are good but can boost you lifespan 5% top

Repairing damage could bring huge life extension and still be relatively simple (compared to fully understanding human biology)
>>
>>8958168
I know, but considering he's already 54 he could use that 5%.

I thinking of going on such a diet myself, because I'm not optimistic about such medicine being available in the next 40 years.
>>
>>8958048
I want to believe, but in previous /sci/ threads some anons say he's full of shit and it wont work.
>>
File: Red-wine-is-healthy.-Cheers.jpg (80KB, 640x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Red-wine-is-healthy.-Cheers.jpg
80KB, 640x1024px
>>8958048
>Wants to long >Drinks beer
>You'd think he'd be very strict about his diet, like doing a calorie restricted diet.

If a Glass of Beer is the only Carbohydrates he consumes in a Day or Week

Too much of Alcohol damage our Liver.

However a bit of Alcohol every month is unlikely to cause major issues.

1 Glass of Wine every week is pretty healthy (due mostly to the flavonoids & antioxidants).

Alcohol is also good for sterilize bacteria inside our mouth.
So helps our Immune System a little bit.

Depends on Dosage. A little bit is Healthy.
However Heavy Drinking is Unhealthy.
Too much of it and you will lose decades of life.
>>
>>8958048

Sorry but EVERYONE alive today will be dead in less than 150 years.
Look at the man... all he does is study ageing and you can clearly see that he is showing all outer physical signs of a man his age.
Spend the few years you have making a loving family and being a good neighbor.
>>
>>8958182
Or you could have a scientific legacy and not waste your life building a family.
>>
>>8958177
His SENS theory sounds plausible, and his research is valuable regardless of outcome.
However we don't know enough at this moments to know if it really is possible to do it this way.

>>8958182
>What are you doing Gnarrk, you will never master fire! It's pointless to try.
>>
File: 431px-Aubrey_de_Grey.jpg (66KB, 431x599px) Image search: [Google]
431px-Aubrey_de_Grey.jpg
66KB, 431x599px
>>8958182
>Look at the man... all he does is study ageing and you can clearly see that he is showing all outer physical signs of a man his age.
Yeah He has Gray Hair & Wrinkles. He doesn't looks so lively. And the beard doesn't helps.

So Either:
1) He is trying hard but is getting no results, so we are hopeless.
2) His research, ideas or methods are wrong.

>>8958048 >>8958186
>>
>>8958187
>>What are you doing Gnarrk, you will never master fire! It's pointless to try.

No... doing research is nabel.

My problem is I see a lot of tech smart people believing that one day they will take a pill and live forever or that they will wake up the technological singularity will have occurred and they will be as gods.

Get out of the basement and get away from the computer and MEET someone and make a family.

Stop thinking that "in just a few years" things will change and I will have all the time in the world to do what I want. Things WILL get easier but you ARE going to age and die... use the few years you have to LIVE do not WAIT to live
>>
>>8958190
Your reasoning is faulty beyond belief. Learn what scientists do and stop larping on /sci/.
>>
>>8958190
Is this bait?
>>
>>8958195
Why are sperging out? Nobody is claiming that.

Of course you shouldn't put your eggs in a basket that may or may not even exist in 20 or 40 years. That's just common sense.
>>
>>8958168
Rat studies have shown calorie restriction increasing lifespan by 30 to 40 percent though. What reasoning/evidence shows that humans would have a different response?
>>
>>8958214
Small animals = faster metabolism.
>>
File: 42598.jpg (31KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
42598.jpg
31KB, 225x350px
I'm the guy who posted >>8958190

Reply to >>8958196 >>8958200
Aubrey de Grey has 54 years old however
He looks older than my Father with 59.
He looks older than this Japanese Manga artist with 56 years old.

I know a lot people that looks much more healthy with about the same age.

Aubrey de Grey either has bad genetics or He is making some mistake. Drinking too much alcohol for example.
>>
>>8958222
Are you retarded or something? The man studies aging mechanisms, he's not claiming that he'll live forever.
>>
>>8958226
Will you hear a Obese Nutritionist or a Obese Athlete for example?

Or a Mechanical Engineers that don't like Cars?

Or a Computer Scientist which don't use Computers?

Or a Mathematician which is bad at Calculus?
>>
>>8958214
>Rat studies have shown calorie restriction increasing lifespan by 30 to 40 percent

RAT studies... how do we know this is not exclusive to rats... for all we know the same applied to humans could SHORTEN or have NO effect on life spans.

We DO know that exercise, proper weight, decent lifestyle (no heavy drinking, drugs etc), and marriage/family DO extend human life.
There is a growing family of evidence that fasting does have health benefits, but few people WANT to spend 10-15 days a year with no food.
>>
>>8958221
That assumes that aging is nonlinear though, because if we look at only the percentage of lifespan increase we should see that same percentage reflected through all metabolisms regardless of rate if aging is a linear process.
It very well could be nonlinear though, because it seems like the appearance of the outward effects of aging do seem to accelerate as time goes on past initial adulthood. However I haven't heard of any studies testing that.
>>
>>8958186
>implying you get to decide useful and useless
>>
>>8958231
Because yeast and fly studies show very similar numbers. Rat's metabolisms are nearly identical to ours.
>>
>>8958231
To do proper calorie restriction you can just skip eating every other day. Or take a drug like metformin.
>>
>>8958222
>comparing a superhuman tree-climbing stand user to a normal human being

More to the point, just because he's researching it doesn't mean he's living it.
>>
>>8958231
>marriage/family
Source? I find that hard to believe. Considering most married people are NOT happy
>>
>>8958236
I think they did some studies on monkeys as well.
>>
>>8958230
Being a hypocrite doesn't make you logically wrong.
>>
File: 1495809729560.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1495809729560.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>8958230
>>
>>8958236
>Because yeast and fly studies show very similar numbers. Rat's metabolisms are nearly identical to ours.

NO.. not at all.. take food away from a normal healthy human for 30 days then refeed them and they will have ZERO problems... most animals when deprived completely of food for any amount of time just DIE
We may digest food like most animals be we react to long term food loss very differently than most animals.
Animal studies are good for ESTIMATING how humans will react, but human trials are 100% necessary.
>>
>>8958241
>Source? I find that hard to believe. Considering most married people are NOT happy

Google is a good tool... learn to use it

http://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/exercise/does-marriage-helps-you-live-longer-20140610
>>
>>8958255
It's pretty misleading though. There is nothing intrinsic about marriage that makes you live longer.

Without understanding WHY married men live long on average it's pointless.

It seems to be mostly about these whys
- Married men are more likely to go to the doctor when something is wrong
- Women generally wont marry unhealthy men

Quite honestly this tells more about the mating behavior of women than it does about longevity.

There is also the stress point, which I disagree with. I also doubt the added responsability of a wife and kids, actually lessens your stress unless maybe if you're an extrovert.
>>
>>8958230
I'm a mechanical engineer and I don't really like cars.
>>
>>8958230
He's a biologist, not a health guru. Looking young does not improve your capacity to study cellular mechanisms.
>>
>>8958233
Yes I do.
>>
>>8958404
nu-uh
>>
>>8958231
>...
I'm glad you put this in the beginning of your post so that I didn't waste my time reading the rest of it.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.