[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Terence Mckenna ascended scientist or /pseudo/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: file.png (76KB, 220x183px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
76KB, 220x183px
What does /sci/ think of the study of consciousness through psychedelic drugs?

Is Is Terence Mckenna ascended theorist or complete pseudoscience?

The problem for me is that none of his big claims are really testable.

However I think his subjective experience in the study of the psychedelic experience is very useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnEKoFrx1rI
>>
I've listened to the entirety of every McKenna lecture I could find online.

The mans intellect was vast. But I would primarily characterize him as an experimental philosopher. In that he was exploring the boundaries of consciousnesses through psychedelic drugs.
>>
pseudo for sure. He might have been smart and intellectual, but it was all pseudo at best
>>
>>8958026
Sometimes he says shit which is just a barrage of jargon, idk what to make of it
>>
>>8958121
Typical word salad supposed to impress psychedelic pseuds.
>>
>the study of consciousness through psychedelic drugs
it could provide tremendous insight regarding the way our brain functions by studying what happens when we throw it off balance
>mckenna
i don't believe anything i've heard him say, unless he's done some non-meme talks it just sounds like the typical ''''''deep'''''' psychedelics user
>>
>>8957983
Wow surprised to see this here. The other day I was tempted to post him in >>8953165 because Mckenna talked similarly about how he thinks that humans purpose may be to build AI which will build it's own AI. But I didn't because I figured sci wouldn't like.
>>
>>8958191
despite it's neckbeard connotations simulation theory is something which interests me greatly.

I read someone once that someone theorised that simulations of life become a tool to model universes and probabilities.
Eg.
Small scale: to compare effectiveness of political systems.

Lage scale: compare slightly different laws of physics on the outcome of the universe.
>>
Jan Irvin exposed him. Just a pied piper of idiocy.
>>
>>8958292
explain. one can understand why fbi/cia co-opted the movement but it still doesnt provide evidence why
>>
>>8957983
as an Anthropologist, his "Stoned Ape" theory was both amusing and interesting, although I'd personally place him as a stoner with a degree.
>>
>>8958132
Brainlet confirmed. You prolly think those grapes are so af
>>
>>8959354
Sour*
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.