[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

calculus vs linear algebra

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

you can only study one. Which would it be /sci?
>>
>>8957516
Linear has too much disgusting notation for me to appreciate it. Calculus is more aesthetic with integrals and series. It also has a fuckload of application.
>>
>>8957516
i haven't done linear algebra yet, but i have used calculus more and more in my day to day life just to have an advantage over plebs, so calculus i'd say.

however, it depends on how much linear algebra raises my power level, then i'd have to decide
>>
>>8957516
Linear Algebra.
I find calculus boring as hell.
>>
>>8957516
you will use linalg HEAVILY in calc class, and you'll briefly study how to use matrices to compute derivates/integrals in linalg class

you can't escape, op
>>
>>8957516
>you can only study one. Which would it be /sci?
Calculus, because you can't do physics with just Linear Algebra.
>>
>>8957516
I can't help but what the context of this picture is
>>
>>8957516
I really like this picture.
>>
>>8957554
You can't do physics with just calculus either.
>>
>>8957516

lin alg b/c deep learning
>>
isnt linear algebra required to learn calc?
>>
>>8957634
Only really basic shit. Taking the determinant of Hessian etc. That's high school stuff. For calc I-III you don't need any complicated lin alg
>>
>>8957636
For a more complicated function you do need diagonalization and spectral theorem. Though you could just believe it werks and calculate.
>>
linear algebra. calculus is boring desu
>>
>>8957516
>you can only study one
Wrong again, retard.
I can study everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1yvvNvlXtg
>>
>>8957516
I've already studied both faggot
>>
>>8957857
that show is so unfunny. i cant believe the guy that made rick and morty made this crap
>>
>>8957519
>LA has too much disgusting notation.

How's freshman year kiddo?
>>
>>8957634
I don't think so. At least here in Germany you take linear algebra and calculus at the same time and linear algebra is usually taught without any topological concepts.
>>
Linear algebra is pretty fundamental to mathematics in general. Vector spaces are __everywhere__. Linear independence. Spanning sets. Eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

One could be a successful mathematician without calculus, but not without linear algebra. A good bit of number theory, abstract algebra, combinatorics, cryptography....all relatively calculus-free.
>>
>>8957634
My vector calculus course *was* linear algebra intensive, but also theory-and-rigor intensive. Maybe not so much if one's just going for computational ability.
>>
is there any field in analysis which doesn't use linear algebra?
>>
You really need both to handle any modern quantitative discipline.
>>
analysis
>>
>>8958702
Measure spaces in general have little structure (just a sigma algebra and a measure). So no linear algebra involved.
>>
File: 1493224486693.png (379KB, 589x480px) Image search: [Google]
1493224486693.png
379KB, 589x480px
>>8957554
Wanna bet?
>>
>>8957516
Calculus is a proper subset of Linear Algebra.
>>
>>8957516

Linear algebra:
> mayke dank-ass gaymes
> know what an eigenvalue is

Cuckulus:
> know how much material you need to make a buttplug on a lathe
> make analog circuits like it's still the 1950s
>>
>>8959211
this

both integration and differentiation are linear operators
>>
>>8959322
That doesn't mean linear algebra tells you how to compute them.
>>
>>8957516
Functional analysis, clearly.
>>
>>8959328
you're literally wrong though, linear algebra is study of linear mapping between vector spaces, so calculus (the thing that tells you how to compute them) is part of the field of linear algebra
>>
>>8959331
No, it's part of the field of banach spaces
>>
>>8957516
Is this a joke right?

Linear Algebra is an actual subfield of mathematics.

Calculus is just a bunch of methods glued together. You can recover all its intents with Analysis, Measure Theory and Differential Geometry.
>>
File: file.png (171KB, 1342x436px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
171KB, 1342x436px
>>8959344
>>
>>8959302
Does there exist a good, modern text on analog circuitry and computing?
>>
>>8959728
"modern text" vs "analog computing"

Pick one.
>>
>>8959211
No, you are wrong.
Linear algebra is only concerned with finite dimensional vector spaces, integration and differentiation of arbitrary function is not a part of linear algebra.
(Integration and differentiation of polynomials on the other hand is)

You are talking about functional analysis. That is both a proper super set of calculus and linear algebra and is concerned with infinite dimensional vector spaces and mappings between them.
Linear algebra is most often the trivial case for functional analysis.

Btw. the reasons that this is the case is that linear algebra between infinite dimensional vector spaces would require real analysis, because eg. not any linear mapping is continuous.
>>
>>8957516
This might be the most embarrassing thread on /sci/ right now.
>>
>>8957516
Who's the girl?
>>
Skip the cuckery and just go straight to abstract algebra and learn about linear once you've had a nice taste of modules
>>
>>8957516
Linear algebra.
Because its easier than calculus if we're talking about ugrad courses.
plus computers are capable of solving systems of equations/doing quaternion rotations, might as well go with the easier one unless you are a maths major
>>
>>8957603
>bc deep learning
need a derivative for that activation senpai
>>
>>8957554
Differential equations masterrace
>>
>>8957516
intro linear algebra and intro calculus are most mind numbing courses.

if we are instead talking about a course in abstract linear algebra versus analysis, i would say the Algebra course would help you more. many problems in all the sciences can be reduced to linear algebra. knowing how to do that reduction is very important
>>
>>8957554
what the fuck do you think qmech is? it is literally linear algebra
>>
>>8957592
It is all yours my friend :)
>>
For fuck's sake, it's like asking if you should learn addition or multiplication.
>>
>>8959743
>>8959728

obviously people still make analog circuits

it's a cutting edge field with a very large impact

they just don't make analog computers
>>
>>8959763
>Linear algebra is only concerned with finite dimensional vector spaces
not true
>>
>>8959796
no ass nancy
>>
Linear algebra because a lot of group theory involves it
>>
>>8957554
But you also can't do physics without linear algebra. QM brah
>>
>>8962303
linear algebra because a lot of calculus involves it
>>
>>8958639
your use of 'kiddo' is almost as cringy as the post you quoted.
>>
File: IMG_0660.jpg (161KB, 750x1193px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0660.jpg
161KB, 750x1193px
>>8962060
Does she go by a different alias? Not getting anything on google images
>>
>>8962319
>teleports behind you
>how's freshman year, kiddo
>>
>>8959743
You do realize that if we manage to create analog computers then we literally have solved every signal processing problem ever?
>>
>>8959211
>>8959322
are ODEs still linear? they dont get funky until complex analysis right?
>>
>>8962512
kek
>>
>>8962720
ODE's and PDE's are some of the easiest subjects in math out there.
Source: Completed 5 ODE textbooks and 3 PDE textbooks.
>>
>>8962720
The only shit we know how to solve is linear.
>>
File: AKAT-1.jpg (850KB, 1848x2596px) Image search: [Google]
AKAT-1.jpg
850KB, 1848x2596px
>>8962637
>if we manage to create analog computers then we literally have solved every signal processing problem ever?
Uh, what?
Analogue computers are really old technology. We've had them for ages.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_computer
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.