[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: shitsfuckinpissingmeoff.jpg (12KB, 193x53px) Image search: [Google]
shitsfuckinpissingmeoff.jpg
12KB, 193x53px
right?
>>
this should mean 6/2(1+2)=1
>>
(a)*(b) and a*b is only equivalent when a,b are both fully reduced expressions

a(b) is equivalent to a*b IFF b is a fully reduced expression

>>8955804
no, it means your mother drank when she was pregnant
>>
>>8955808
i kno they are equivalent im asking if you treat them the same way. a*b are two values being multiplied together where a(b) gets treated as a single value.
this really only matters because of retarted equajuns
>>
>>8955823
You treat them the same way. Parentheses are useful if you want to clarify the order of operations, say if you have a(2+b) it means you multiply a with 2+b.
>>
you must choose a convention and stick with it. these retarded "problems" usually mix the use of explicit multiplication signs with the convention that adjacence of operators means multiplication. another convention is that in math notation all parentheses are necessary ones, so you can write a space b and read it as a times b, but you cannot write a(b) with no reason for the parentheses and expect it to be read in any other way than function a applied to argument b.
>>
>>8955863
This

And you shouldn't really use * for multiplication unless your a brainlet. It means the Hermitian adjoint.
>>
>>8955804
This is a very silly question but...
Do you write the second step as 6/2(3) or 6/2*3?

I know it's poorly written on purpose but I am curious about this detail... I don't do math since forever and I don't remember how I used to solve that
>>
>>8955804
Correct
>>
>>8955803
If you're a physicist.
>>
>>8956230
Both of those are the same.
>>
File: detective.png (470KB, 507x430px) Image search: [Google]
detective.png
470KB, 507x430px
>>8955804
For the absolutely correct answer: Well, if you go back to classical math texts like Teutsche's Algebra, it'll list a/a+b as a/(a+b). However if you look at, say, Wolfram, it'll do a/a+b as (a/a) + b. So it seems that both are right, correct?
Alas, both of these are technically wrong in the modern world, because the question itself is wrong. ISO standards say you're not to simply use / or the obelus when representing division, at least without extremely clear brackets. You should specify if it means 6/(2(1+2)) or (6/2)(1+2).
>>
>>8955804
the true standard for this is how a computer would read it.
first off you cant do a(b), it has to be a*b ( or a*(b) whatever)

then it's 6/2*(1+2) which is 3*(1+2) which is 9.
>>
>>8956510
>+
My mistake, I meant a/a*b instead of a/a+b in the first few sentences (though funnily enough Teutsche's Algebra still works out in the way I described for that case).
>>
>>8956568
...You do realise people program computers, right?

How "a computer" reads it is not some objective independent fact.
>>
>>8955803
they both act as top right. if i wanted both to be in parenthesis id put them both in parenthesis. please dont tell me ive been wrong after all these years
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.