[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Energy conservation and green energy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: energy consumption.jpg (141KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
energy consumption.jpg
141KB, 1280x720px
(This thread is not for discussion about global warming being real or not. If you think it's fake, pretend it's real for the sake of argument.)

There's one thing I've never understood about advocates and efforts for more environmentally friendly energy usage. Why is reduction of energy consumption necessary when green energy exists, hell, they tell me energy consumption should go down even if it IS 100% green energy? As far as I understand, green energy is renewable and thus comes in a theoretically limitless supply, limited only to how fast we generate it. As more green energy is used, more money is paid to the companies generating it, providing both the funds and commercial incentive to generate more. Basic economics dictates that, unless it somehow generates a net loss (in which case I wonder how there's an entire industry for it), supply will naturally increase to meet demand. Theoretically (assuming fossil fuels do not outcompete green energy) this should lead to a market situation where slightly more green is produced than consumed, and all should have enough energy to waste as they please with negligible environmental impact.

So why should consumers of 100% green energy conserve energy or otherwise reduce energy consumption, rather than actually INCREASE their energy consumption to provide economic benefits to parties pushing green energy?

(I know '100% green' energy is a scam in the US (like any other offers from US companies), and even outside the US many companies try to 'greenwash' their provided energy. I'm talking about non-scam 100% green energy incentives verified by independent parties like consumer organizations.)
>>
Anyone? Surely there's got to be a flaw in my reasoning. It can't be that everyone is wrong.
>>
>>8953936
Inside the Green movement, it's a pretty common position that industrialization is bad, and the only real solution is to massively deindustrialize, and "get back to nature". It's Gaia worship. Also factoring into their reasoning is the faulty assumption that Malthus was right, and that increasing energy supply means increasing human populations. Also, the wrong assumption that increasing energy supply means humans will be more capable of damaging the environment. It's just wrong on every count. This particular sect doesn't want cheap energy. They want expensive energy. And I suspect that they're the true idealogues that are largely running the movement.
>>
>>8953936
>why should we also reduce our energy consumption if we move to 100% green energy?
>shouldn't we try to consume as much of it as possible to help that industry?

you mention basic economics but i think there's a more basic principle of economics to consider when answering this question. If we consumed 17 TW of power and replaced it with 100% green energy, it would cost $xx.xx per kWh. For every unit of power increase we want to consume, the consumers would have to spend $xx.xx + (some amount). The idea behind market economics is that the producers will find the most economical way to produce things so as to provide them the cheapest. If this were represented by wind farms, you could imagine that all the really great windy areas of the planet are already being used for wind power to generate our 17 TW, but when we decided we want another TW, we have to build those turbines in a non-optimal wind harvesting area. The turbine still costs the same as the turbines in the good spots, but is now generating less electricity - which means the producer has to have a premium per kWh to cover the investment costs and receive a decent ROI.

There is also another economic argument to this; using up scarce resources that have alternative uses.

Lets say even if you get to 100% green energy, a sizeable portion of that power will come from nuclear (this is an inescapable reality). Nuclear power requires thermodynamic heat cycles to generate power (usually rankine cycles). Those rankine cycles are, at best, ~40% efficient (generous). That means that for every TW of power we want to consume, we need 2.5 TW of heat from a nuclear reactor, and 1.5 of those TW of heat needs to be rejected from the process, using a cooling tower. This would use at LEAST another 200,000 gallons of water PER SECOND, or roughly 5.2-5.3 BILLION gallons of fresh water per year.

not to mention the concrete, steel, human labor, rare earth magnets, etc etc that would all be sucked up in this endeavor.
>>
Greenfags just hate humanity and want to see the world burn. Those of them that don't are the useful idiots in the movement.
>>
>>8953936
>pretend it's real for the sake of argument
Isn't that how religions start?
>>
>>8953936
>If you think it's fake, get the fuck off /sci/ retard.
ftfy
>>
>>8956342
>we have to build those turbines in a non-optimal wind harvesting area
Is there such a shortage of viable areas for green energy production? I would assume that with how vast this world is and with only 7 billion humans living on this earth (sure, increasing, but not all that fast), there should be plenty of economically viable locations for green energy production.

If this is not the case, and as you imply green energy will become less profitable as the market grows, that would mean green energy is not economically viable in the long term, which is a far more worrying thought as it would imply the whole push to green energy is futile.

>a sizeable portion of that power will come from nuclear (this is an inescapable reality)
While personally I'm totally in favor of using nuclear power, let's exclude it from the green energy category as most of the world does. Usage of nuclear power is only an inescapable reality when it's more commercially viable than green energy, which is something governments can prevent.

>not to mention the concrete, steel, human labor, rare earth magnets, etc etc that would all be sucked up in this endeavor.
>concrete
I don't think we're remotely close to having any shortage of concrete.
>steel
Same for steel.
>human labor
Practically limitless, limited only be commercial viability (budget for hiring people).
>rare earth magnets
Likewise, I don't think we'll run out of these before having supplied the entire world with 100% green energy.
>>
>>8955074
Not entirely true, the Green movement where I live have a large push for nuclear, if we need it. We get more than enough from hydroelectric, but not ever locale is so lucky. And, the green movement is really actually for industrialization, just in a responsible method.
>>
>>8956342
>we need 2.5 TW of heat from a nuclear reactor, and 1.5 of those TW of heat needs to be rejected from the process, using a cooling tower. This would use at LEAST another 200,000 gallons of water PER SECOND, or roughly 5.2-5.3 BILLION gallons of fresh water per year.

So, pretty similar top the coal industry? Which uses the exact same turbine tech?
>>
>>8956678
Different factions.
>>
>>8956524
https://bravenewclimate.com/2014/08/22/catch-22-of-energy-storage/
https://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/2011/08/nation-sized-battery/
https://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/2011/11/pump-up-the-storage/
>>
>>8956678
Where the fuck do you live?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.