[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sun's vicinity representation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: sunandotherstars.jpg (94KB, 615x524px) Image search: [Google]
sunandotherstars.jpg
94KB, 615x524px
What would be the "friendliest" (simple, but ilustrative) way to represent the Sun's vicinity? What object would you produce to represent it? A map? An empty cilinder with the stars hanging from its structure?
>>
File: lego sun vicinity.jpg (7KB, 218x231px) Image search: [Google]
lego sun vicinity.jpg
7KB, 218x231px
http://www.arbesman.net/blog/2010/12/27/lego-map-of-nearby-stars/

Is this the best we can do?
>>
a pop up book
>>
Space engine. Set the view to center on Earth and then back off a few light years, and ramp up time until you're circling Sol at whatever distance you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltcnr6uXDR4

Or else a mobile.
>>
>>8953377
>Sol

fuck off with your scifi bullshit you retarded faggot
>>
File: erf_ri3306.jpg (44KB, 600x307px) Image search: [Google]
erf_ri3306.jpg
44KB, 600x307px
>>8953384

You sound like a happy person.

But anyway, Sol is a lot older name than "the Sun". Dang barbarians.
>>
>>8953404
lol it's literally the same word just in an older language. Unless you are speaking Latin, saying "sol" isn't more correct than saying "sun". It's literally just inserting a Latin word into an English sentence for no reason.
>>
>>8953441
english is a shit language
>>
>>8953377
Well, I guess a mobile would be better than that lego set. But it wouldn't support many stars.

I am kind of interested in building a model.
>>
>>8953963
I've seen, somewhere, someone do something similar with fiber optics and a few colored LEDs (all you need is white, blue, yellow, orange, red, and maybe a dim deep red for the dwarfs). Fiddly work but the result can look really nice in the dark.
>>
>>8953156
I've seen a kit that does this. Two plates of plexiglass separated by rods about 20cm (8") in the corners. Holes are drilled in the plates in positions that represent the X/Y of 50 nearest stars (Sun in the center). Then you string fishing line from on hole to the next corresponding one with a bead representing a star looped on, which you slide up or down the string to is correct Z position, and put a dab of superglue on it to keep its place.
>>
>>8954674
P.S. There were four different colored beads to represent the spectral types - blue, red, yellow, white. All same size though.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.