[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some outstanding book series in math/physics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 051792.jpg (323KB, 683x1000px) Image search: [Google]
051792.jpg
323KB, 683x1000px
Éléments d'analyse (Jean Dieudonné).
Éléments de mathématique (Nicolas Bourbaki).
Principles of Mathematical Analysis, Real and Complex Analysis, Functional Analysis (Walter Rudin).
A Comprehensive Course in Analysis (Barry Simon).
Methods of Modern Mathematical Physics (Michael Ree, Barry Simon).
Course of Theoretical Physics (Lev Landau, Evgeny Lifshitz).
[math]\cdots[/math]
>>
>>8952646
You're missing Kolmogorov.
>>
>>8952746
>You're missing Kolmogorov.
Selected works of A.N. Kolmogorov?
>>
>>8953603
Pretty much everything he wrote is god-tier.
Elements of theory of functions and functional analysis
Mathematics: Its content, methods and meanings
Probability theory and mathematical statistics

He ingrains intuition, not just mindless use of methods.
>>
>>8953652
>Elements of theory of functions and functional analysis
do you have any thoughts on the silverman translation "introductory real analysis"
>>
>>8953662
Sorry i read it in russian. But i hear from people i respect and trust that it is adequate translation (though nothing amazing). It's a shame because his books just somehow "click" right away.
>>
>>8952646
Anyone know where I can find these books in their original French? Need to practice
>>
>>8953681
>>8953652

Do you guys happen to know what the titles of the books used by the school kids were called? I heard Kolmogorov wrote several textbooks for schoolchildren and that apparently they were god-tier and changed the math curriculum in Russia. I'd like English translation if possible
>>
>>8952646
I really like Pughs analysis book, which also touches topology
Ian Stewart has written some readable textbooks
>>
>>8954154
>Anyone know where I can find these books in their original French? Need to practice
Search them with their original titles on LibGen.
>>
The Art of Computer Programming (Donald Knuth).
>>
>>8954210
My University library has them! But thanks I'll check it out
>>
>>8954161
About his high-school books, i was taught mathematics with some of them so i can't compare them to any other books, but they were all very intuitive and offered very engaging excercises while exposing me to pretty much everything so when i went to university, i mostly knew basics of everything in undergrad and the lectures just deepened my knowledge. As for the books themselve: Mathematics: Its content, methods and meanings, Algebra and beginning analysis and Elements of mathematics in problems and solutions were what i still have in my library. I also used several of his "interesting problem sets" as an excercise.
I can't comment on quality of translation of any of these books as i read them in russian. But most of these are translated to german, french and, even though i doubt it would help you, czech. On that note, if you can read czech and are interested in theoretical physics, i suggest Motl's Linear Algebra.
>>
File: motlmoazcu.jpg (81KB, 487x650px) Image search: [Google]
motlmoazcu.jpg
81KB, 487x650px
>>8954249
>Motl
That guy is a champ with a 9 inch veiny cock.
Also the smartest Czech mathematician for sure.
>>
>>8954310
I don't like his e-persona very much, but he's very pleasant in person. He attended few hep-theory conferences i did and it was fun talking to him, i was surprised by his knowledge of russian (as was he by my superficial knowledge of czech). Shame he left academia, it seems to me he could still be successful in string theory. He's the smartest Czech, period.
>>
>>8954249
Thanks lad. I've been very interested in teaching some students of mine using Russian textbook problems and seeing when they introduce concepts. Unfortunately, I only speak English and Spanish so translations can be ahrd to come by
>>
Not a book series, but a yt video series
>Math Foundations, N.J. Wildberger
>>
>>8952646
Reed/Simon Math methods
Literally anything by him Fomenko, Arnold, or Jost
Sommerfield 6 volume series
>>
>>8953681
thanks
>>
>>8952646
Pauli Lectures on Physics Vol 1-6
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.