[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wavelets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

Can anyone here tell me about wavelets, or where I can learn more about it?

I have a background in analysis and measure theory, but I don't know a lot about Fourier analysis (besides the basics).
>>
>>8949168
Brainwavelets
>>
File: wave-05.jpg (241KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
wave-05.jpg
241KB, 1600x1200px
they never learn
>>
>>8949181
came here to post this.

wavelets just cant compete with the big infinite sine wave.
>>
Try reading Pinsky's "Introduction to Fourier Analysis and Wavelets" or Daubechies's "Ten lectures on wavelets." Pinsky especially is good for people new to the material. I couldn't find it online though so I hope you have access to a library.
>>
>>8949218
Damn it I can't find Pinsky's anywhere either. The other book seems alright though, but a bit strange with notation. It writes integrals like this

[eqn] \int_E \mathrm{d}x f(x) [/eqn]
>>
>>8949524
Whoops, should've put a space inbetween there somewhere.
>>
>6'0 and above
Waves
>5'11 and below
Wavelets
>>
>>8949524
Assuming you're a student your university should have one in their library.
And don't get too hung up on notation. As long as you know what it means, you should be able to freely switch between various ways of writing things. This is especially important with subjects like wavelets since they are used everywhere, so there will be some books written by and for engineers that use engineering notation, books written by physicists with notation from physics etc.

If you're more engineering/programming oriented, I also recommend Mallat's "A wavelet tour of signal processing: The sparse way." It's a doorstopper (800+ pages), but the chapters are mostly self-contained and it gives you the tools to write your own image-compressing programs. Pretty cool, but again you'll probably need to get it from a library.

I wrote a semester thesis on the Daubechies wavelets, so if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.
>>
>>8949557
>I wrote a semester thesis on the Daubechies wavelets, so if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Oh that is cool, yes I'm a university student in mathematics. I'm trying to look at the wavelet construction of the Brownian Motion specifically. Do you know where I can find more information on this?

I'm trying to google it, but most links end up in documents I'd have to pay for.
>>
>>8949539
kek, thanks /fit/
>>
>>8949576
>wavelet construction of the Brownian Motion
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that; I only learned about the Donsker theorem and the Lévy-Ciesielski construction. Depending on your university you may be able to access a bunch of stuff via link.springer.com, though Pinsky's book isn't on there.
I'm meeting with my professor next week so I could try asking him if he has a good reference.
>>
They are juat basis function
>>
>>8949576
>>8949612
Actually I think there was a section on BM in the Pinsky book.
>>
>>8949612
>>8951157

So I asked one of my professors for extra material to study during the summer, and she suggested I look at this construction of the BM. Now she was gonna send me some stuff over the weekend through email, but I thought if I could already download some good pdfs, that would come in handy. Anyway I can't find Pinsky's book anywhere, neither as a pdf, nor on the website of my country's equivalent to amazon. You grabbed it from your university library, yeah? I might take a look there this weekend for the book.
>>
>>8952156
if it's accessible from your country, sci-hub.cc facilitates sharing of academic documents
>>
>>8952156
>You grabbed it from your university library, yeah?
Correct.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.