[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Real Analysis is easy for non brainlets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 20170528_161802.jpg (585KB, 906x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170528_161802.jpg
585KB, 906x1080px
Why is analysis so easy? Seriously. I always hear how hard it is online but it has not been much of a challenge so far.
>Freshman
>Was non brainlet in high school so taking advanced multivariable calc and linear algebra first quarter
>next quarter pdes and set theory
>this quarter real analysis
>mfw it's not that hard
>mfw some things take a bit of work but nothing is actually confusing
>mfw brainlets have lied to me about analysis all these years
>mfw I'm a year younger than everyone else in the class but I'm one of the top students
When did /sci/ realize that they had been lied to?
>>
you're probably just using an easy textbook, there's plenty of challenging textbooks with hard problems if you want them
>>
>>8948011
Do tell senpai
>>
>>8948061
pugh's book labels the more difficult problems,
>One star is hard, two stars is very hard, and a three-star exercise is a question to which I do not know the answer.
>>
>>8948061
Try Tao's book, he makes all the theorems exercises practically
>>
>>8948061
While we're at it, baby Rudin is also pretty hard.

It's very plausible that your analysis course is easy. What have you learned so far?
>>
>>8948334
Basically done with the quarter but we learned about sequences, limits, power series, sequences of functions, limit points, density. And a few other things. That's just off the top of my head though. My uni has a top 50 math program worldwide so I am unsure if the course just sucks or if it was just easy for me.
Maybe I'll pirate Rudin to study on the side this summer.
>>
>>8948061
Try this http://bass.math.uconn.edu/real.html there's a free draft pdf

Or the 3 volume opus Linear Operators by Dunford and Schwartz.
>>
>>8948334
Rudin is an easy read book. Passed my analysis courses with ease with it's help.
>>
>>8948627
Wait, what'd you think we were talking about? You do realize that's baby analysis right? When people said analysis can be hard they were talking about analysis at the level of papa/grandpa rudin, folland, reed/simon, and the like, you know, actual analysis. It's also about the sheer sum of information, folland is less than 400 pages and is usually taught throughout a year yet is known for the terse manner in which the material is presented, it's not uncommon for topics that can have entire courses based around them relegated to a single section. Basically the analysis you're talking about is bitch tier, it'd be sad if you didn't find it easy.
>>
>>8948627
This is bottom tier analysis. This was all one unit in the first year of my engineering degree.
>>
>>8948000
Maybe you're just autistic?
>>
>>8948627
>sequences, limits, power series, sequences of functions, limit points, density

Holy shit you are retarded. All of that is Calculus 2 with epsilon delta definition. Of course it is not challenging if you already know calculus.

Step into the parts of analysis which are too advanced to be part of calculus and you will find hard problems.
>>
>>8949421
Ok I figured it out. They make us take a few quarters of easy analysis before we do Rudin and all the hard shit. So apparently I am just a brainlet
>>
>>8948808
Not, OP, but all that shit is 2nd-3rd semester. Harder than calc, but really not that hard.
>>
>>8949641
>Grandpa Rudin, folland, reed/simon
>2nd-3rd semester
You do know even places like Peking and ENS (aka some of the most most difficult math undergrad places in the world) don't cover that material in their programs, right? I'd really like to know the university that covers unbounded operators, spectral analysis, ergodic theory, c*-algebras and the representation theory of LCAG by the 2nd or 3rd semester.
>>
>>8949748
whats lcag?:3
>>
>>8949989
Locally compact abelian group
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.