[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Serious question about brain space and intelligence

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Perelman,_Grigori_(1966).jpg (14KB, 400x293px) Image search: [Google]
Perelman,_Grigori_(1966).jpg
14KB, 400x293px
I have a lot of free time.
Should I dedicate myself to only one thing or do different things?
Say, I like math.
But at the same time I love playing basket, practicing the guitar, videogaming, etc...
Are these activities taking room away from my math brain centers?
Most likely I shouldn't worry much about this in my case but suppose I'm a professional mathematician.
This kid is deaf and seems like his brain has allocated more room for math, even though basic.
>>
there is no evidence to suggest you have a "brain limit"
>>
>>8947907
>there is no evidence to suggest you have a "brain limit"
But areas of your brain do grow in size in relation to your skills, right?
Then if a person is blind, part of his visual cortex is allocated to processing sounds.
>>
>>8947881
your brain specializes in what you spend your time doing. You really won't get great at something unless you spend the majority of your awake time doing that thing.

your "math centers" won't be degraded by doing other stuff, but they will by lack of use. You can maintain as long as you dont go too long not using them. But they do take away in a sense from the potential that they'd have as the opportunity cost of spending time on other things is not have as specialized of a brain.
>>
>>8948088
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity
>>
>>8947881
Diversify your skill set.
>>
>>8947881

Find the sweet spot between specialization and diversification. Obviously spreading yourself thin is a bad idea, but a lot of the hobbies that you mentioned are also helpful for general cognition, and switching tasks every now and then will keep you focused and motivated. Spending all of your time doing one thing may incur diminishing returns anyway.
>>
>>8947881
This >>8949227. Most mathematicians in my department, including myself, don't exclusively just "do math". Even when you're trying to study new stuff, doing other things during breaks will help your brain form links so that you will ultimately remember the stuff you want to study way faster.
>>
File: k3C8NYR.png (117KB, 332x446px) Image search: [Google]
k3C8NYR.png
117KB, 332x446px
Was Perelman a good tennis player?
>>
>>8947881
Constantly learn, take some time out for daydreaming if you aren't already prone to fantasy, weed helps with fantasizing, but stay away from habitual cannibis use, and be very careful with it if you have a schizoid mind(Google) take psychedelics fairly regularly usually low or micro doses and occasionally some big ones, start with the big ones. Like every month or so. Intuition, experience, and some glanced over empircal evidence tells me it improves neural connectivity, and the altered states of consciousness allow for new cognitive behaviors.
I suggest studying things like logic, systems, networks, life especially living systems, (meta)physics, do a lot of "stamp collecting" I've been studying biology since I was three starting out with animal encyclopedias and can see the living world work in beautiful ways I can't share with too many other people. Philosophize and write it down. Go saunter. You just need to be curious and your mechanisms will take care of the rest.
>>
>>8947881
Depends, your skills in mathematics may benefit from other other hobbies anyway.

For example, a person who enjoys playing video games based on problem solving or logic (spacechem, talos.. etc) may have an advantage when it comes to logical knowledge sets such as mathematics or programming then someone who spends their time playing first-person-shooters.

Granted, not substantial. But logic is logic, regardless of media.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.