[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which way is up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: upside earth.jpg (1MB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
upside earth.jpg
1MB, 2048x2048px
What/Who decided that the Earth is actually facing upwards, I'm guessing it's just because Europe is at the north side of Earth and they got to decide everything? Is there a scientific explanation for why our North pole is actually at the top of our planet?
What if the Earth, and everything we know in the Universe, is actually upside down? How do we even know which way is up?
>>
Butthurt australians...
>>
http://america.aljazeera.com/opinions/2014/2/maps-cartographycolonialismnortheurocentricglobe.html
>>
>still doesn't realize the earth is twice as big as claimed
>still doesn't realize we're on the bottom half
>still doesn't realize the equator is actually Antarctica
As above, so below.
>>
Nah but really guys how do I know which way is up
It's really bothering me, maybe we've been the real Australians all along
>>
>>8947838
>al jazeera
>opinion
discarded
>>
The Earth is round, there is no actual "north side". You can draw a map of the Earth in any orientation. Arab maps during the Middle Ages showed Africa on top and Europe on bottom.
>>
>>8947865
Yeah but it spins one way, not to say that way isn't facing up
But like, how do we know which way is up in terms of the Universe
Does up even exist
>>
>>8947854

There's no up or down.
>>
> axis orbit around the sun implies basic orientation
> Half of the earth's surface is covered with water
> other half is devided between water and land by a ratio of ~ 3:1
> maps are used by humans, not fish
> more land = top half seems is the most intuitive solution
>>
90% of humans live in the northern hemisphere so it probably just seemed logical
>>
>>8948910
>But like, how do we know which way is up in terms of the Universe

There is no "up" in terms of the universe. Our galaxy has two directions, "spinward / counterspinward" and "coreward / rimward", our planet has three, "spinward / counterspinward" and "northpoleward / equatorward" and "southpoleward / equatorward". Everything else is just a spook.
>>
I swear there was some movie or other that showed earth from orbit but at a random angle and people threw a shitfit.
>>
>>8947835
Most of the water is in the bottom part, water flows down.
>>
>>8948910
That's what I think. There is no such thing as "up" and "down" in universe. Isnt defined. You can set an "up" and "down" if you want but it will be just your reference system.
I.o.w, viewing the Earth "downwards" would be correct either
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.