[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this pic true? Oh my creator of matrix what a hell are we

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: lolno.jpg (112KB, 1024x615px) Image search: [Google]
lolno.jpg
112KB, 1024x615px
Is this pic true?
Oh my creator of matrix what a hell are we even hoping for if our radio waves only went so far in our own galaxy?

Also when you imagine that the stars we see in the sky are the stars that are actually only in a small circle around our part of galaxy... jesus fuck

Are we really alone? Is this all there is? Empty lifeless universe that wants to kill you?

/are-we-alone/ thread
>>
>be told by mom and dad and school and tv you are reaaaally special and important
>you arent
woah!
>>
>>8946845
what a pathetic little miserable man you are
>>
>>8946827
>even hoping
We are hoping to hear others first, before they hear our radio signals which most likely are the powerful radar signals emitted during WW2.
>>
>>8946863
what about our cancerous TV?
>>
>>8946863

Those signals weren't directional, which means thay they succumb to the inverse square law. There's no way they're strong enough to be detectable by the time they reach aliums in other solar systems.
>>
>>8946867

Falls to background noise before it reaches even the closest star.
>>
File: 1491128588376.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1491128588376.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>8946827
You ask it like there's no other place like earth or with similar circumstances in the vast universe.
>>
>>8946827
>Oh my creator of matrix what a hell are we even hoping for if our radio waves only went so far in our own galaxy?
They likely aren't even detectable beyond the Oort cloud. Inverse Square law applied here.
>>
>>8946827
You should be fucking glad.

Broadcasting our location in space i sbeyond retarded. The chances of alien life being hostile are extremely high. We should't be broadcasting our existence to the universe until the point where we are certain we could potentially defeat most hypothetical hostile alien threats.
>>
>>8947088
>>8947090
>>8947557
what! Is that actually true? even if you already know the exact frequency? i find that hard to believe desu
>>
>>8946827
Inverse square - aside from SETI, which is targeted, radio waves don't get beyond the solar system (even more so now that we've switched to almost entirely digital formats).

Even SETI is limited to 500ly or so. (Though up to 5,000, theoretically, if you know exactly what you're looking for.)
>>
File: isplot.gif (20KB, 601x388px) Image search: [Google]
isplot.gif
20KB, 601x388px
>>8947603
Human made radio emissions are simply to weak.
>>
>>8947088
>Those signals weren't directional, which means thay they succumb to the inverse square law.
Even directional signals succumb to the inverse square law.
"The Great Silence" is a non-issue.
>>
>>8947603
>i find that hard to believe desu
Let's run through what my 9th grade science teacher taught (you'll learn this when you get to High School).

>invent gun that shoots controlled spay of butter
>shoot a piece of toast from 10', perfectly butter toast
>shoot toast at 20'... results?
At twice the distance, the butter spreads out twice as wide AND twice as high.
You'd need 4 pieces of toast to capture the same butter, not just one.
Double the distance, FOUR times the area covered, one FOURTH the amount of butter per piece of toast.
>>
>>8947605
>Even SETI is limited to 500ly or so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox#Humans_are_not_listening_properly
>SETI estimates, for instance, that with a radio telescope as sensitive as the Arecibo Observatory,
>Earth's television and radio broadcasts would only be detectable at distances up to 0.3 light-years,
>>
>>8947588
Essentially this
>>
>>8947660
Speaking of active SETI - ie. how far we can send directed messages. Not how far away we can receive them from.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.