[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the meaning of life, /sci/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: 427644.gif (804KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
427644.gif
804KB, 800x600px
I personally think life is at the most recent stage in universal evolution into exponentially complexifying atomic structures. It starts off slowly with a sea of plasmic electrons lasting for billions of years, and as time passes, it cools and complexifies into basic atomic structures, then a virtually infinite array of possible molecular structures made from the 42 possible atomic bonding combinations, then RNA, DNA, single celled organisms, multicellular organisms, flora & funa, higher primates, humankind, and now the synthetic lifeforms that our species currently serves as the reproductive organs for that we call machines, and finally the technological singularity.

Notice however, that each stage of complexity occurs faster than the stage which preceded it. We can see this in our own world where in we have experienced more technological evolution in the past 100 years than we have in the previous 100,000. Following this logic, there will come a day when we will experience more change in a single day than in the entire course of human history, perhaps in the entire course of the universe. But to make a long story short, I think we end up inventing an AI capable of creating a simulation of our universe so complete that within the simulated universe we create an identical simulation within the simulation, and within that a simulation into infinity (like putting two mirrors opposite each other). What if there being an infinite of identical universes basically makes them all technically one universe; this one? In which case life turns out to be the catalyst for the Big Bang button, in a sort of closed time loop. Another way of thinking about it is that life's purpose is literally to live, where in it's ultimate end is to go back in time and seed it's own existence.

>cont
>>
File: 1446587469839.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1446587469839.gif
2MB, 500x500px
But why? Why does anything need to exist at all? Because it has to. Something has to exist, because nothing can't. The opposite of existence is non-existence, and non-existence already doesn't exist. It never has existed, nor ever will exist, and can only continue not existing when in the presence of that which already does exist. The question why does anything exist, is a question that exists within existence and is dependant on anything existing at all in the first place in order for the question to be asked in the first place; existence isn't subject to the question, the question is subject to existence. It's like asking what it looks like behind your field of vision. It doesn't look like anything at all, it's not even an empty void, it's just not there at all, like a sense you never had in the first place. Furthermore, the nothingness behind your field of vision can only continue looking like nothing while your field of vision looks like something. Something always has to exist, however, it still need a logical causal framework to structure its existence, which I have already laid out in my closed time loop universe simulation theory above.
>>
I agree with all of that.
>>
However you frame it (closed time loop or whatever) our sole aim is survival, and life's purpose, therefore, is to find a way to continue to exist indefinitely. Maybe it isn't possible, but our purpose is still to try to find out whether it is or isn't.
>>
File: 149464573732344.png (650KB, 670x535px) Image search: [Google]
149464573732344.png
650KB, 670x535px
maybe.
>>8945700
yep. Given this, the fact that anything at all exists, means certainly that everything exists. All possible realities. Perhaps that's the nature of existence, the "point" of it, to explore what can exist by the infinite potential of things that could exist. Maybe in the right sorts of systems this is why consciousness exists, a property of sufficiently sophisticated self-referential logic that allows for the emergence of "time" and first person experience of the universe.

Also, after a lot of contemplation I've concluded that if we are not in a simulation, then it is most likely we live in a fractal universe. That is, you can "zoom in" infinitely and always find more complexity and organization. As you zoom out, I'd assume given our universe you'd find more chaos as the timescale is different. If we're in a simulation then there is almost certainly an outer limit and a smallest unit.
>>
>>8945699
honestly, does it matter?
>>
>>8945699
>What is the meaning of life
replication of DNA

>>8945946
>does it matter?
only to living organisms
>>
Not necessarily. Because in your closed time loop existence is solely dependent on the interpreters of said existence. The interactors if you will. You can go as fundamental as single cellular life that handles with stimuli so it can assess where a food source is so it can eventually reproduce, or as advanced as self consciousness. However, these things, the interactores, are a product of molecular reactions. For certain molecular actions to happen one needs favorable energetic conditions and the right compositions of atoms. Without those, diversifying the possibilities is impossible. How many random clouds of hydrogen gas are floating around in the universe? So creating a self interacting environment on very low energetic scales (compare delta G values from fusion to delta G levels from an enzymatic reaction for instance) is done in very narrow margins.
However, it doesn't matter how narrow those margins are, it happened. Probably more than once, but for now (or perhaps ever) we will never know. Perhaps there's an intelligent organism present at every part of the observable universe so that in total the entire universe can be observed.
We can however, still create, or be subject to, the event of turning back to non-existence. If all life on Earth dies, or if this planet is destroyed, this part of the universe will be non-existent again. Or will it?
That's ultimately the core question I think we have as humans. How does this absurd thing we are all a part of actually work? Because it somehow doesn't seem to make sense, right? How can things be so large and so tiny?
I don't think your thought process actually is an answer to the conundrum however, as the question still arises then: what happens in the initial universe that started it all? How did that big bang happen? A circle still has an origin point, even though you can keep going round and round it still needed an anchor point where it could roll out from.
>cont.
>>
File: 6BhwYmm.jpg (3MB, 3986x2214px) Image search: [Google]
6BhwYmm.jpg
3MB, 3986x2214px
>>8945699
You don't know anything, you can't know anything and you will never know anything in the grand scheme of things.

There may or may not be a god.
Maybe one religion is true or none are, but you will never know the truth in your lifetime.
For all you know, you could be living inside a simulation and the actual universe would be one where the Earth is flat.
Maybe you're god and the reality that you know is just a dream you've put yourself in because it's boring to be almighty and alone in endless nothingness.
The universe may have been created 5 minutes ago, maybe by a "god" entity or something.
It may as well end in 5 minutes.

Living your life is like developing a very flawed theory based on empirical evidence of your own experience, intuition and many assumptions.
How do you know the ground won't crack underneath you and swallow you?
You think you know, but you don't.
You just automatically assume it won't based on your previous experiences, and the hypothesis that there is hard ground beneath the thin asphalt you're walking on.
Each step is basically a gamble in the grand scheme of things.

You should just take Occam's razor and shave off anything that you can't experience through your senses and measurement.

So even if there is a meaning, purpose or some profound reason for your life, you will never know what it is.

You're alive for now and you've got know idea what awaits you after you die.
If there are endless possibilities, just assume it's nothing, because it is as valid as any of them and it doesn't require you to waste your life praying to imaginary beings that may or may not coincidentally be real or doing other retarded shit that wastes your life.

So make up your own damn meaning.
Life is still very interesting and there's lots of interesting things to do.
Live your life in such a way, so you can honestly say to yourself in the end "I've lived a good life" and die smiling and, with no regrets, embracing whatever comes next.
>>
>>8946109
>You should just take Occam's razor and shave off anything that you can't experience through your senses and measurement.
Also, trust you theory and adjust it as you experience more things in life.
>>
>>8946082
Why would you need a "Big Bang" button, or trigger or whatever if you could just keep it going? Would the energy the simulation needs be so much that one it simply wipes out the current universe and begins it again? Is the universe completely deterministic in that case?
Your entire premise goes from a certain need to restart the universe, so it can exist. But non existence isn't necessarily something that is impossible. You find comfort in the thought that it does, because it's something you find absurd. I don't think non-existence is that absurd. In fact, I think non-existence isn't so far from the existing universe without an interactor. Let stars shine and black holes devour, but without our observation of it happening, what does it matter if it exists or not, right? This might be the most fundamental axiom that is perpetuated in the entire span of life: not living is not existing. Why would an organism want to reproduce per se? There's no clear motive behind it, right? It's just favorable molecular interactions ad perpetuum, right? Eventually existence gets to the point where it recognizes itself and utters phrases like: "I think so I exist.", but so what? Somehow there might be a very rudimentary connection between life arising and the universe existing, but whether that's just a matter of coincidence or having some kind of destiny, I don't know any longer.
But I don't think this kind of questioning is so important, actually. Because we have no way of finding out and we'll never be able to be a part of it anyway, so why bother with that?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.